P2-avid-"insufficient media"

tarzan

I shoot on P2 and edit on Avid Adrenaline Newscuttere. Occasionally, after I consolidate all my clips, I find that one or two (or in today's case three) of my consolidated clips are "corrupted", for lack of a better term. When I try to play them, the computer makes a "dink" sound, and I get an error message as shown in the attached jpg about "insufficient media."

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, is there a way to fix/prevent it?
Thanks

Attachments

Cambot Mk. II

It's been a year since I've worked with P2 but I'll give it a shot.

If you put your card back in the camera, you'll probably see clips marked with an "X". This means the file was damaged in some way. Select those clips and find the "repair clip" function in your menu.

This should get you back on your way.

I'm not sure what causes these problems. When this happened with our cameras, it seemed to be connected to voltage spikes (hot-swapping NP-1's) but we could never definitively verify that was the issue.

Hope this helps.

voltage spikes or a battery dying in the middle of a clip cause the problem. the clip is unable to 'close' the file properly

tarzan

If you put your card back in the camera, you'll probably see clips marked with an "X". This means the file was damaged in some way. Select those clips and find the "repair clip" function in your menu.
I think I looked into that possibility a while back, and I didn't see any clip thumbnails that had X.

I'm not sure if this is apples to oranges but,

There is a bug in Newscutter versions prior to 6.6 in regard to P2 consolidation. If a bin already has P2 media in it and you attempt to consolidate more P2 media, strange things will happen. For me, this has always reared it's ugly head as the dreaded "MEDIA OFFLINE" slate affecting clips randomly.

I get around it by only consolidating video into fresh bins that are completely empty and making sure all other bins are closed while I'm consolidating.

If that doesn't work for you this is a workaround that an Avid rep taught me. (I've had limited success with it)

In the Avid Newscutter folder (it's part of the Avid install bundle that you probably saved to C:\program files), there is a folder called P2. This folder holds meta data about the P2 clips on your media drive. Sometimes this meta data becomes corrupted and screws everything up. If you delete the folder, Avid will create a new one and populate it with fresh meta data.
Make sure that you exit out of Avid before you delete the folder.

Hope that helps!