One Reporter's farewell.....

C St. SW

Another veteran reporter, WIVB's George Richert pulls the pin and bales from a profession that is disappearing faster than the 24 hour news cycle.

In his farewell, no lamentations, no big thank you's to all of the cheeses that gave him is opportunity to be famous or the viewers for letting him "visit their lives" every day, but his thank you was reserved for the brotherhood. The thankless dozens of photographer / pack mules who slugged it out with him everyday that made him look good. In all my years, I can count on one hand how many reporters I've worked with that would write this. If this is any indication, George was one of those rare street partners that you live for.

So, if you've never felt appreciated, maybe some of your reporter friends should see this. Thanks to Scott at FTVlive.com for posting this, and to George for writing it. Even if it was just to your guys, it helps when all photographers know their worth.
------------------------------

Dear Photographers,

I don't even remember who it was who first invited me to have dinner in the Photographers' Lounge, but I want to thank you all for tolerating it.

I've tried to earn the right to be there because I think it represents a sort of brotherhood with our big sister.

It's hardly a 'Lounge' at all...More like a simple table for the purpose of eating fast and getting back to work.

After all, that seems to be the life of a photographer.

You run from story to story, often times finding creative ways to make something out of absolutely nothing.

Yet, when the script finally comes in, your hard work still doesn't usually live up to the high expectations of what's written.

Reporters like me run around looking stressed out, when you have the ultimate deadline resting on your shoulders; the final minutes and seconds before a story or a show airs.

You're usually the first to realize that a (voiceover) wasn't shot at all, or that a certain file simply doesn't exist, and yet you're expected to somehow "make it live."

Reporters like me get to sit in the car while you stay out and shoot the b-roll we need or set up the LIVE shot.

You battle the elements and clock to make a dark LIVE shot look halfway decent, but often times the only feedback you get is to "iris down!"

For you, I love the days when your creative talents shine through and you get a lot of compliments.

But I realize most days you must feel like a masterpiece painter who is only given two colors, and ten minutes to work with.

I want you know that you're the UNSUNG HEROES and the backbone of this industry, and I will never forget you.

My favorite part of this job has been driving around with each of you and sharing the highs and lows of our lives each day.

Those are the lifelong bonds that I will miss the most.

From the bottom of my heart... Thank You.

With Love & Respect,

George

BluesCam

Very Nice. I still fondly remember a couple reporters I worked with from over 20 yr. ago.