On Camera Monitor

Hess

PRO user
Greetings,

I hope everyone is having an enjoyable summer

Quick question about camera mounted monitors.

Who uses what, what sort of arm do you mount it to, size, weight, resolution.

I shoot on an Panny HPX 3100G. it does have the little flip out monitor, but its not meeting my needs.
I do have access to an Ikegami 9 inch monitor, but have no way to mount it to the camera, and it runs off a brick.

As always, thanks in advance.

Best.

Hess

go with some variant of a cine/Israli arm and also consider a mufflers clamp to use with it for those long sit down and watch the podium jobs that pop up occasionally. This way you can position it on a tripod leg or somewhere lower so you are not looking up for the whole night.

Cameradude

I gotta ask; why do you add an on camera monitor??

I always have a bigger off camera monitor in the 9"-26" range depending on the client requirements, but I am always a bit baffled why people like to fly these 4"-6" monitors off the camera.

Does the viewfinder not provide what you need, or is it an eyesight issue?

Seriously, interested in everyones answer.....

Flaca Productions

I don't use it for when I'm handheld - unless it's being used as a recorder (pro res, in this case) but have it mounted on cam for MY use during sitdowns. Sometimes it's on a separate stand or different mount attached to the tripod, but sometimes it's easiest right on the camera. Small footprint.

It depends on what type of opperating I am doing If. It is a long sit down it can be nice, they are also useful for long continuous record situations, i.e. somebody on stage.

I will often bring a full focus/zoom control set so that I can run my tripod with a 2 handle studio type setup for these types of shoots if I know I am walking into one. Same thing for webcasts and switched type shoots.

Hess

PRO user
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input.
My use is primarily use is for shooting highlights for a football show.
I shoot up high and my eyes aren't what they once were. The little flip out monitor doesn't do what I need.
I like the idea of mounting to to a tripod leg, that seems convenient.

Thanks again for the input.

Joey

Necktie Boy

I used a cheap monitor for the field producer to write down TC. I could mount it on a light stand or a baby pin. It sounds best to mount it on camera to follow the action.