OKC Bombing Anniversary

Latin Lens

So this is probably going to come off as being a little harsh but I just want to get through some concepts to you for next time. I usually watch videos twice once as a photog/viewer...the second as a photog critiquer...and thats where I really really watch everything in detail. This story had great potential...but it fell short maybe because as you say you didn't have enough time...a lot visually didn't make sense and I'll get to that.

Was the story about the demolition? Or the reflection of the ex-FBI? Because I didn't see enough demolition to draw me in visually, audio-wise, or storytell-wise...big disappointment there. Thats where it had the chance to really put a stamp on it thru corelation, reflection, or both...but I got nothing. B-roll shot with sot audio underneath at 1:14 was odd...he's talking but the shot to help cover didn't match because his lips are saying something else...I know what you were going for but it didn't work...a static shot from the book referencing what he was talking about would have actually been much better. Standup was creative...you got some nice variation in your shooting...but overall direction of the is story fell short...not structured or approached well...so I think the potential was there...you tried...but a good story turned below average in my taste.

PhotoHawk

Yeah, I agree 1:14 was awkward. Just tried something different. The interview shot was very experimental with me too. Overall the story was suppose to be about the FBI agent reflecting, the demolition was just a coincidence and the people who were tearing it down weren't even aware of the connection. I felt like it needed more time to tell the full story. It was suppose to be 1:20, but ended up being 1:40 and still felt lacking. What are your thoughts? Do you think it could have been stronger with more time? Seems like if you ask for a story to be longer than the standard 1:20 here you're crazy for asking. I feel like it makes stories fall short when you have to cram it into 1:20 then hurry off to pick up a couple vo-sots. Its like our motto here is more stories the better, but that's a whole new issue :p

Latin Lens

Not necissarily

Yeah, I agree 1:14 was awkward. Just tried something different. The interview shot was very experimental with me too. Overall the story was suppose to be about the FBI agent reflecting, the demolition was just a coincidence and the people who were tearing it down weren't even aware of the connection. I felt like it needed more time to tell the full story. It was suppose to be 1:20, but ended up being 1:40 and still felt lacking. What are your thoughts? Do you think it could have been stronger with more time? Seems like if you ask for a story to be longer than the standard 1:20 here you're crazy for asking. I feel like it makes stories fall short when you have to cram it into 1:20 then hurry off to pick up a couple vo-sots. Its like our motto here is more stories the better, but that's a whole new issue :p
I think time wasn't the issue...it was more story structure. The was no real begining, middle or end...it just was blah. Thats why it lacked in storytell...you got some cool stuff...but the structure was so scattered that it didn't do what it could have been. Demolition...reflection...connection...is what I would have suggested for the reporter...I mean the mere coincidence that they were tearing it down was such a priceless golden moment that got NO attention at all and that is/was a HUGE mistake by the reporter. There's too many comparisons to be made there that I am sick to my stomach just thinking about it (not really just dramatic effect). With a better structure no one would have been wiser..but you can tell with the lack of it how bad the final product is. I like stories but what I got here was a report...two totally different things and need to be approached in two different ways.

mkay

Perhaps you and the reporter could have utilized the demolition as a larger portion of the story. I like the start of the piece, but there could have been a promising surprise in unveiling the "uniqueness" of this motel. Instead, the demo was a brief mention until getting into the crux of the story. The demo is visually interesting with soo many possibilites for sound and sequencing. I'd say shoot the sh#t out the demolition and then communicate with your reporter on what you've captured. Get her to write to it (I know, sometimes easier said then done :) I will say you have a good eye for composition and the standup was a nice little 2 shot sequence. How long have you been shooting news?

PhotoHawk

How long have you been shooting news?
Thanks for the compliment! It would make exactly a year on the April 18th (the day after this was shot). I have improved a lot over the year thanks to B-roll.net.

As far as the reporter knowing what I shot, she was there, but she also is the reporter and has been in the biz longer so I try to keep my opinions on how to tell the story to a minimum. I don't feel like its my place to say anything. In hindsight, you guys are right. It was a special moment that could have really made the piece, but again, thanks to you guys, these things really don't come to mind until later.

Latin Lens

Mindful

Thanks for the compliment! It would make exactly a year on the April 18th (the day after this was shot). I have improved a lot over the year thanks to B-roll.net.

As far as the reporter knowing what I shot, she was there, but she also is the reporter and has been in the biz longer so I try to keep my opinions on how to tell the story to a minimum. I don't feel like its my place to say anything. In hindsight, you guys are right. It was a special moment that could have really made the piece, but again, thanks to you guys, these things really don't come to mind until later.
PhotoHawk...you are correct in trying not to overstep any bounds but its the approach that will get you in trouble. Some reporters you can work with and some you can't. Know which kind you got and take it from there. Talk about the story on the way to scene...during shooting...afterwards on the drive back and just offer stuff in a friendly matter that could inspire her/him or even they could possibly see how great you want to make the story and start picking your brain for ideas. Team effort. I tell every reporter I work with know that I like to be involved in the storytelling process...help with lines...help with structure...and they may not say it directly to me...but I know they appreciate the team effort. I see the stories on their resume tapes...thats the best compliment I could receive. So start slow...one, two things to your reporter. Next thing you know you'll be bouncing ideas off eachother and thats when it gets really really fun. Take your time and be patient.

mkay

As far as the reporter knowing what I shot, she was there, but she also is the reporter and has been in the biz longer so I try to keep my opinions on how to tell the story to a minimum. I don't feel like its my place to say anything.

Think of it as not telling her how to report/ tell a story, but sharing what you've captured on tape. Tell the reporter about what you have and any sequencing ideas you may come up with. This communication should help the reporter with ideas on how to write to your video. Remember you're a team out there. Hope this helps.