NYC truck ops read this

news-shooter

I just received two summonses for driving southbound on the FDR between 96st and 72st, even though my news van has the proper DOT permit allowing such travel.
One was for improper registration (commercial plates...van legally has NYP plates) and the other for...get this..ADVERTISING ON THE PARKWAY!
Guess it is illegal to drive a marked news van on the parkways of NYC even though there is a valid DOT permit allowing such.

Suggesting NYC news van crews stay off the FDR until this is sorted out.

zac love

LOL... advertising on the parkway. Sounds like they issue tickets in NYC like they do in Chicago. You get a ticket not on how the law is written, but by how the person writing the ticket chooses to enforce the law.

My brother once got a ticket for an expired meter that hadn't expired yet... Parking meter expires at 1:24pm? Well it is after 1:24pm some where in the world.

cyndygreen1

My old town had an ordinance that you couldn't park a marked vehicle in front of your house/even in your driveway because it was considered advertising. Not that I ever wanted to advertise where I lived.

nysatboy

Live Trucks maybe use the FDR Drive from South Ferry to 34 street. They are not allowed north of that. I allways push it to 42 street, but I wont go past that. My shop had the permits for the FDR and it states right on it South ferry to 34 street. Just last week I came over the Tri-Boro Bridge and I got into it with my reporter he wanted me to take the FDR down I said no way. I took 2 ave and got on the Drive at 34 street. Down to 100 Centre St.

news-shooter

George, I'm sure the DOT permit allows us north of 63st and south of 34th. I think you mean sat trucks more than 8000#
I am in a small MW truck at 5600#

nysatboy

Yes, there is a weight limit north of 34 street and I think its 7,000 lbs. My van hits the scales at about 9,000 lbs. Their are some low bridges north of 42 street, our trucks are
10 feet 8 in. Guys in my shop claim they can clear the bridges, not me 42 street is my cut off. In the past both Fox and NBC had gotten Summonses for being on the FDR and
the Henry Hudson Pkwy. There is a HWY Cop that hates the Media, he is a big black guy. He bangs us out everytime he gets chance......

nysatboy

The story goes back 5 or 10 years, I dont know true it is but this how it went. A Fox crew pulled up to a NYP parking zone downtown. And the zone was full, but there was one car without NYP Plates parked there. So they flagged a Dept of Traffic tow truck and had the car without the Press Plates towed. Before you know it, here comes this Hwy Cop in uniform looking for the car, it ended up being his personal car. Words were exchanged with the guys from Fox and the cop. The word on the street is the Highway Cop in wearing his leather boots, coat and a hat that looks like someone sat on it. He had to get on the subway and go up to the pound and get his car...And thats the word on the street why this cop hates the media, like I said we dont know true the story is.....But we all know Highway Cops Are Ass H@#$%

news-shooter

Had the court date last month...Not Guilty for both summonses. The judge threw both out because the cop couldn't get his facts straight. He sounded like a bumbling idiot.
Back on the FDR for now (with current DOT permit)