non news shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lensmith

My preference is and always will be shooting news. I do a dozen non-news/entertainment shoots a year which always pay well...but come with their own headaches.

The biggest problem is releases. I just finished a three day shoot for a fairly well known reality show. The snag comes with all the legal paperwork these companies want signed since this material is for entertainment instead of news.

There are releases for individuals interivewed/featured. Releases for individuals who happen to show up in the background. Releases for the location. Releases for photos. Not to mention a large sign that is supposed to be visible for all to see announcing if they are in the area they are understood to be giving consent to having their image recorded as part of the production.

All fine and dandy in the legal world of the US. Of course everyone of these things is in English! Imagine trying to talk some poor farmer into signing a piece of paper that he can't read or understand! Even the big sign confuses people in this part of the world and ends up drawing more of a crowd...which means even more releases need to be signed!!

I end up with a briefcase full of paper with some rather unusual signatures since many people here can not read or write.

Oh well...I need a beer or two...or three ;o)

adam

Lens you may want to consult the legal dept. at these shows, but you might be able to substitute a form with a taped consent.

cameragod

I worked on a show that travels all over and we just asked for most people to say their name + spelling and that it was ok to use them on tape. Much faster, though if the person played a key part then we always made sure to get their signature on a consent form.

Nino

C'mon Len, paperwork gives producers something to do. Take away these little chores and you might find them looking at the monitor trying to improve things.

Lensmith

Originally posted by Nino:
C'mon Len, paperwork gives producers something to do. Take away these little chores and you might find them looking at the monitor trying to improve things.
You're right Nino. My problem is I'm the contact person for the gig. I hire a good field producer to do this but I'm always backstopping them since it's my reputation with the client...but you know that.

Here's a copy of the personal release I have to get signed.

GOOD MONEY PRODUCTIONS, INC.
666 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90036
323/555-XXXX
323/555-XXXX- Fax

PERSONAL RELEASE

Gentlemen:

You have my permission to film me and record my voice and to use my name and information about me in connection with your television program, now entitled "Another show for Lensmith to make a buck working for" in which you will own all the rights. I understand that you may edit this material or combine it with other material unrelated to me. You have the further right to use this material of me in connection with the promotion of the program in any and all media without any payment or compensation to me whatsoever.

You also have my permission to broadcast, exhibit, distribute or advertise all programs and excerpts thereof, however, wherever in the universe in perpetuity and whenever you may decide, including in theaters and/or on television or cable or otherwise. I also give this permission to other people and companies who may be involved in the program.

I understand that you and others will be relying on and incurring considerable expenses based on this permission and representations made herein. I also release you from any liability which may arise in connection with the Program.

Good Money Productions, Inc. (“Producer”) has not said anything or promised me anything in order to induce me to give Producer this permission and Producer is not obligated to use any of the pictures or records of me or my voice.

(For parents of minors only)
Furthermore, I hereby warrant and represent that the parent or legal guardians of certain minors that are to be videotaped for the above-referenced project and will be under my direct and legal supervision during same, have given their express permission to me to use the services of said minors in connection therewith.

(If Applicable) I am the parent/legal guardian of ____________________, who is a minor child, and give my permission on behalf of my child and myself.

As you can see this release covers a lot more legal ground than "yeah I'll let you use me in a shot" wording. Boring lawyer speak that stretches my street Spanish to the limit. I'm not really complaining that hard because I do love the work. It's always nice to shoot something where you have more control and time. Kind of recharges the batteries for news.

I can't help but groan a bit when I read the release and know I've got to translate it into something a couple dozen poor farm folk will all understand AND sign on the dotted line.

I keep thinking...what lawyer is really going to sue over something like this? Thoughts of that nature are when I know I've been away from the states too long ;o)

I

imported_blank

Originally posted by Lensmith:

GOOD MONEY PRODUCTIONS, INC.
666 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Hey LS quit stealing my clients. I know that production company and to my knowledge I am supposed to have all the non USA gigs coming from them. Oh never mind, that only includes Western Mexico.

The irony is that the release forms they send me are written with even more (Canadian) gibberish and in fact even harder to get people to sign. I'd get my dog to do the paperwork but I finally taught him to ride the manual audio tracks and he is busy as a dog.

Nothing beats the feeling of bringing back good sound eh?

Nino

You know Len, if I was a sleazy lawyer I would wait for the program to be broadcasted, then, on behalf of those who signed the releases, I would go after your client and that nice million dollar liability insurance that we all must carry these days. Fortunately for us there’s no such thing as a sleazy lawyer, right?
I really doubt that in your particular case, any lawyer was ever consulted, probably just boilerplate form and a producer back at the office playing god (What??? A producer playing god??? No f….ing way man).

Unless is different in Nicaragua, the fact is that if English is not an official language of a particular country, any legal document (in English) might as well be written on a soft tissue paper so it can be put to better use.

For many years I was a volunteer translator (Italian/English) for the International Red Cross and because of that, I was also an official (paid) translator for the court systems in CT and NY. It was a very interesting job and I was well compensated for, but I got out because the court system was taking too much of my time. Of course things might have changed since then but I doubt it. One thing that I've learned was that the language of any legal document is of primary importance. If you are making someone sign a document that he/she doesn’t fully understand, it could be interpreted as coercion, and you and your client could be in deep trouble if the s… hits the fan. As an official certified translator, I had to sign all papers stating that the individual named in the document fully understood the content.
I had defendant’s lawyers trying to get their clients off the hook by suggesting or even accusing me of incorrectly interpreting the legal document, that’s when I got out. Here in FL, good ole US of A, every legal document is written in English on one side and in Spanish on the backside, I would suggest that you client do the same.

As a cameraman with very little patience for those who ask me to do things that has nothing to do with my job, I tell the client to hire a student or someone else for a minimum pay to take care of these brainless chores. Having me wasting valuable and expensive time to chase paperwork would be like hiring an award-winning chef to cook scrambled eggs.

Lensmith

Hi guys,

I asked about forms in Spanish and they were totally lost. Said they didn't exist...which doesn't make sense to me because this is a standard Sony company release form for all of their shows (according to them).

I've seen those dual language release forms as well in Florida and can't for the life of me figure out why this company wouldn't have them as well.

I like your plan Nino. Of course I'm sure I'd be the one to get final blame allowing the company to wash their hands of the problem.

Sorry about sneaking a client away from you Ivan! ;o)

Don't worry though, you can have all the Western Mexico shoots you want. Not exactly my favorite part of the world.

What kind of Canadian wording would be different? Just a lot more "ehs" scattered thru the document? ;o)

cameragod

While shooting in Paris we had a consent form in French but after much sniggering and disgust were told by several Parisians that it was written by someone from the south of France and therefore not proper French.

I

imported_blank

Actually Lensmith I was exaggerating my post, my dog can only set one channel at a time and also those American release forms I get look the same- the address is only a couple of street numbers off as well..

Although I agree with Nino about the liability. I also agree with you about us bearing some of the responsibility. For instance if an American producer asks me to do something that may be against our federal or local laws and I know about the law it is my duty to inform the producer. I also tell them they should seek a lawyer familiar with our laws before clearing a packaging anything.

I also agree with Nino about a shooter doing only shooter related work but eh! sometimes the budget doesn't allow for that luxury. Not everything is primetime big three network gigs or big budget cable.

On another note you guys remember the pig farm serial killer I mentioned? Turns out now he is charged with 15 murders so far and the foreign media may have to sign a pretty bad release form saying they won't reveal certain evidence yet or they will be in Contempt of Court. :confused:

Nino

IVAN,
I have a very affordable pool of labor that I can tap into when needed. Even if the client doesn’t want to pay for it, I pay for myself. Few times a years I’m invited as a guest speaker at a local HS video production class. When I need an extra pair of hands, I call the department head and I can easily pick up as many volunteers as I need. When I thrown in $50 for the day, the kids are in heaven.
Two weeks ago the producer asked me to hire a runner for Monday Night Football. Normally my oldest son would get the job but he’s away to college, so I called one of the HS kids and offered him the job, he got all exited and wanted to know how much he had to pay to get in. When I told him that the job actually pays $150 he nearly destroyed my eardrums.

CAMERAGOD, Thanks, I'm glad to hear that the French are also rude among themselves.

cameragod

Loved shooting in Paris. There were some very nice and helpful people there. But I think it’s not that you will meet more rude people in France than anywhere else, it’s just the few rude ones you do meet are so unbelievably rude.
P.S. if you ever have to do a story on the rollerbladeing around the inner circle, when they close the streets to cars and several thousand Parisians skate around the city make sure you do the Sunday family run and not the Thursday night advanced one, it’s a killer.

Crawdaddy

So IVAN

What headphones do you fit on your sounddawg?
and do they slip off when its licking its privates?
Do ya keep the leash tight so he doesn't run screaming off the shoot, or do you just throw a bone once he starts to whine?
Could you open a school for your "dog training"
Im sure there are many camera's out there who could use fine, faithfull, sound dawg who can't talk back...
are you working on teaching him how to boom, run three radio's AND keep the cable out of your feet and keep you falling on your beta while you back pedal?
Now that's a trick (treat)

I

imported_blank

Crawdaddy.
I think U'r a soundman. I'm not making fun of our sound-friends, I myself take care of sound-only on some gigs

NOW A HISTORY LESSON:

Below you can see one of the crew teaching my first dog how to set the levels. This was back in the old analog days (and I'm talking about TUBES for audio) Remember in those days it was strictly VU meter needles, non of this fancy LED stuff with peak hold.

Then that dog turned into a free wheelin' hippie. Notice the hair. He headed for San Francisco and ended joining the Hait and Ashbury in-crowd.

My newest dog never licks his private parts in public nor does he scream off the shoot as long as I promise him access to the 1,600 watt sound system back at home. Dolby Digital!

Also in the car he insists on listening to his favorite DJ.

I am in the process of teaching a military dog manual iris using the 70% flesh tone zebra peak markers. I'll let u know the results.

Keep in mind when writing my posts I don't dramatise or exaggerate...
By The Way
My last human soundman did indeed at times run off the set (licking???)

post script
Crawdaddy
Eustachia, looking at your place of location,
do you come from the plant Nepenthes eustachia
or
being a sound man do you suffer from Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?
just wonderin"

DaleWilson,
did u teach your associates how to use manual focus yet??? :confused:

Dalewilson

DaleWilson,
did u teach your associates how to use manual focus yet???
Ivan - Several attempts have been made to suggest that these people get to really know their camera and rely on manual. I have suggested this to them. Sort of like parachute instructors " Suggest " their students pull the rip cord after jumping from the aircraft? It's only a suggestion.

By the way Ivan; this is my favorite DJ too:

-dale

Austin Reeves

Maybe I should look into getting a sound dog. A set I was on a couple of years, we were shooting a 7-part series for NBC. We had broken for lunch and when we resumed shooting, we shot for like 45mins, before someone yelled, "sound check? Was that a good take?"

When only silence was heard, a scavenger hunt for our sound tech revealed him napping in the corner of the garage. I haven't seen him on a set I"ve been on since.

Liveshot

Status
Not open for further replies.