Newscutter: Best HD Export Settings?

3.14rates

Hi folks,

This is obviously a screwy temporary workflow, but we're in the early stages of HD migration. Long story made not as long: I have one machine with Newscutter 6.8 to edit HD video shot with a Sony BluRay XDCAM. The newscast is not HD yet, so right now we only use this for special projects/programs (i.e, a 30 minute pre-produced weather special).

The rest of our machines and the server we transfer video to for the newscast operate on an earlier SD version of Newscutter 5.x. (I think 5.8).

I recently used the 6.8 machine for a single newscast feature package... mostly to preserve 16:9 aspect ratio because it must be converted to SD. But I'd like to archive the finished piece as HD for HD file footage and a resume tape.

More background: I used two options to get HD video from the 6.8 machine to the normal SD 4:3 system. I letterboxed the sequence in 6.8, then tried to...
a. Dub from 6.8 Computer to DVCpro Deck. Capture on old system with DVCpro.
b. Export sequence as video file. Put on external hard drive. Import on old system. As of now, I tried two methods of digital files... I transcoded the sequence into 30 and then exported as a quicktime lossless (so the 5.x version can import). The better option seemed to be keeping the project at 1080 and exporting as a DV, then importing on the old system. (Since we put graphics/supers in the sequence's video track beforehand, this seemed to maintain graphics quality better than transcoding).

Sorry for the long preface. Now the questions:
1. In your exprience, what is the highest quality export setting for the purposes of importing elsewhere in SD? Anything better than what I described above?

2. I have this fantastic HD story I want to archive for file footage as well as a resume tape. What is the best HD format to export the finished sequence? I'd like to figure out some way to export the final sequence as HD rather than having to backup 100 GB of raw footage, graphics, etc.

Thanks in advance.