newb demo reel critique

Hello,

Looking for a critique of my first demo reel. I really want to be a part of the creative/promotions department or a photojournalist, but I don't have a clue if I'm up to snuff and I'm worried that people are lying when they say they like it. Any way, here it is:

WWW.vimeo.com/griffesnow/showreel

Thanks.

cyndygreen1

Hello,

Looking for a critique of my first demo reel. I really want to be a part of the creative/promotions department or a photojournalist, but I don't have a clue if I'm up to snuff and I'm worried that people are lying when they say they like it. Any way, here it is:

WWW.vimeo.com/griffesnow/showreel

Thanks.
1. The link doesn't work. I did find the file by adding an "n" after the "fes" and that worked.

2. Decide what you want to do. The areas you say you want to work in are so far apart that it may be difficult to showcase your skills in order to target whoever does the hiring. Promotions requires a similar skillset to PJ, but an entirely different mindset and reel. One reel does not fit all jobs.

3. This reel is definitely NOT for news. You've got some nice stuff, but nowhere does it show your ability to think, shoot, tell a story. Mostly wide shots and medium, but no sequencing with close-ups. No nats.

4. I can see you are working at my old digs/KOVR. Good Day Sacramento? Yep. What I can't figure out is why you used music and no sound from the live shots. And are they allowing INTERNS to shoot live now? Wow.

Overall, basic shooting. Decent exposure. No sense of storytelling, so using this for a PJ reel is out. A promo department might like parts of it (help me out here guys who have worked promo/I haven't). Don't be discouraged - but think your reel through carefully and tailor it to the job you want. Don't just toss a bunch of pretty shots together with music. Heck, check out the reels of most of the pros here on b-roll to see what they do.

Necktie Boy

I couldn't get the link to open, even with the extra 'n". Correct link. please.

If you want us to look at you reel.