New proposed FOIA rule

svp

So much for "transparency". I wouldn't worry. This will get scrapped after the elections when we have a new administration and a new AG. I have a feeling this "change" is designed to help DOJ from having to release damning documents that directly tie Obama and Holder to the Fast and Furios debacle.

Last edited:

satop

isn't freedom of information a law that was voted on by congress, and would have to be changed by congress, not just an executive order?

svp

This President thinks he's a dictator and doesn't need Congress permission.

BoomDrive

This President thinks he's a dictator and doesn't need Congress permission.
Yeah! At least the previous president got permission from congress to declare war in Afghanistan and then again in Iraq.

Oh, wait! Bad example...

From what I've seen out of you in the past, SVP, you're more likely to leap rather than look when it comes to political discussions. Did you read anything in the link code20 posted? Somehow, I doubt it.

tschelle

And this is why the GWB administration went to war in Iraq over false information that Iraqi had WMD? And is that a reason to wage war? Let it be known that this turned out to be false, but the president's men tried to cover it up, and only Scooter got a slap on the wrist. Not Dick. Not W. What a blatant bull**** cover up.

Which POTUS thinks he's a dictator, above the law?

What about Halliburton and their no-bid contract deals with the US armed forces? Halliburton was poisoning the troops water (http://abcn.ws/oFncQc).

And when did this start? I remember Barack Obama being sworn in in 2009. The Iraq "conflict" began in 2003, and the one in Afghanistan began in 2001.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I have a hard time believing anyone other than W. started this mess...

mi3ke

I think this thread has nothing to do with our professional jobs and should be moved.

Having said that, "I have yet to find where it says government employees can "lie" to deny FOIA requests. " If the record is there and when you ask for it and are told that it is not there, tha is a "lie".

Cheers, Mi3ke
KOB-TV

svp

I disagree with this thread being moved. FOIA has EVERYTHING to do with our jobs as journalists. I have a feeling that is NOT the reason the thread was moved.

Code20Photog said:
I have yet to find where it says government employees can "lie" to deny FOIA requests.
Here is the direct wording from the DOJ proposed rule change.

(2) When a component applies an exclusion to exclude records from
the requirements of the FOIA pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552(c), the component
utilizing the exclusion will respond to the request as if the excluded
records did not exist.
This response should not differ in wording from
any other response given by the component.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-03-21/html/2011-6473.htm

So...how is it not lying when you say something doesn't exist when, in fact, it does??? If an agency can lie and say it doesn't exists, the person making the request has no standing to challenge in court. I can't wait to see how all of you respond when this rule is in place during the upcoming Republican administration.

Last edited:

BoomDrive

I disagree with this thread being moved. FOIA has EVERYTHING to do with our jobs as journalists. I have a feeling that is NOT the reason the thread was moved.
You're right again! The thread was moved because President Obama called up Kev and told him to move it or he'd throw Kev in federal prison. You're on to something, SVP!

Or it could have been moved because you decided to make it political instead of sticking to the original topic, derailing it further with unrealistic conspiracy theories.

Since you sent me a message rather than prove you have the cajones to "back up" your original poorly-developed ideas, allow me to cut and paste:

svp said:
You're just upset because its Obama doing this instead of Bush. That's the only reason for your post on the World Series thread. The FOIA issue is real. If the government no longer has to state the exemption when refusing to release info, the person making the request will have no standing to challenge the withholding in court. This move is nothing more than a way for Holder, Obama, etc to save their asses. My position is what's good for one is good for all and if this democratic administration goes through with this, then the new GOP administration should continue with it when they's swore in in 2013 and refuse to give out documents to democrats who will be crying foul when they can't get anything on a GOP administration. I wonder how much crying you'll be doing then? Its a slippery slope that this administration is going down for nothing other than political reasons to save a few peoples' political asses.
That's a lot of talk for a guy who doesn't have the nerve to make his case publically in the thread he originally derailed. You know what's really funny? I don't even care about politics. I only wanted to point out how ironic your claim was. You're the one who keeps taking it to new levels.

:eyeroll:

svp

Change the subject all you want Boom. Fact is the administration is doing this and several have said they didn't see anywhere where the document instructs department heads to lie about documents. I've pointed out exactly where it is in the document. You can try to defend your beloved President and Attorney General all you want but it doesn't change the facts.

tschelle

Don't blame Boom.

Like I said in my previous post, check out our previous presidents. They aren't so clean. And yes, they (the underlings) aren't worth the recognition they deserver (http://bit.ly/1ZUhZi), but they sure do mess up our country when we were doing well before the elections were corrupted.

Just my opinion, which is worth nothing.

Last edited:

BoomDrive

Change what subject? I thought I was very clear when I wrote that I don't care about politics. Are you blind? Maybe illiterate? I don't know how much simpler I can be. The text is in black and white. There's no color, pictures, or graphs to confuse you.

I'm participating in this thread to point out your hypocrisy and double standard. Those are the only reasons I'm even taking up the keyboard in a political thread.

I did find this picture amusing, though. I thought I would share it with you. There's multiple elements (text and graphics), but I hope it won't be confusing to you.

svp

Blaming Bush is not going to work in 2012. BTW, nice job bring race into the issue with that picture. When a liberal starts crying racism you know they've lost the argument and have no facts to back up their claims.

I realize I'm a conservative on a message board full of liberals but, again, this liberal DEMOCRATIC administration is proposing changing the FOIA rules to allow the government to LIE about documents being requested under FOIA. THAT is a FACT right there in black and white and it alarms me that those in the media, even liberals, seem to be OK with this. Can't blame Bush on this one.

BoomDrive

Tell me, SVP: do you really not understand what I mean when I say, "I don't care about politics?" Any smart person would understand I posted that picture to get a rise out of you. You're so easy to bait!