New Chief

Shooter25

Hey everyone, I'm a new Chief Photographer and I'm looking for advice. I've never been a Chief before and I've been shooting for almost 15 years. The shop I'm heading to has an established group of photogs who I haven't met. Any advice on how to approach a situation like this? I'd like to establish good working relationships and friendships, yet develop a mentor like situation with them.

Thanks in advance!

photog1199

Good Luck

Good Luck and Congrats. I became a Chief for the first time two years ago. I took over at the shop I work so my exprience is a little different. Just be prepared for paperwork that you have never had to do before, I knew it was coming but it's still my least favorite part.

Just make sure you stand up for your guys when you need to but also don't be afraid to get on to them if they screw up. The hardest part for me is having to discipline them when needed because before I got promoted I was no different than them, just a little more exprienced. Just remember that your guys except you to be their ally but so does management and you have to balance that.

Again Good Luck.

David R. Busse

Get a book on amazon.com called "It's Your Ship" by Michael Abrashoff. Read every word of it. There are parallels to the TV news environment on every page.

Spot remover

You will be a big brother, dad, friend, enemy and go-between every day. You can't be "one of the guys" at all and you can't be too distant either. Don't take every complaint as gospel and you can't fix everything. You'll follow orders you find ridiculous and fume when the guilty party is let off. You'll get pissed when someone calls in sick because "they don't feel like working today" and you'll feel great when they call you "chief" or respect you enough to introduce to family when they get a tour of the station.

Demand to be treated like a true manager (which is what you are) and refuse to be treated like a photographer who "does chief stuff sometimes". Fight for the time and space to do your job properly and deliver each day- this is a daily battle.

Stand up for your guys when they can't and critisize them in private when they do wrong. Praise them in public and take a couple of times a year to visit the morning and nightsiders and overnighters at work. Answer all phone calls 24/7 and make sure you have plenty of family time too. Get tight with the engineers and fix a few things yourself, if possible.

I've been a chief for 10+ years now and I can't imagine a different job! Good Luck!

Latin Lens

I will just offer my congratulations to you...never been a chief....applied for the position once (didn't get it obviously) but I've been fortunate to have worked for some good ones...Spot Remover summed it up best....its looks like a hard road but it can be a very rewarding one. Good luck.