Network drone?

dhart

A major network rang me up and said they were updating their equipment lists for crews. Ask me if I had a drone. Any one else get a call like this? Didn't know the FAA had approved drones for ENG use.

satpimp

Inquiries have been floated for some time. Assignment to Disaster scenes out of FAA purview, like Vanuatu, may be decided by not just if, but what type of drone you have.

Necktie Boy

Didn't CNN receive permission to test dones? But still illegal to fly for money.

Off track.....FAA is trying to go after YouTube drone footage, saying that ads sold on YTube is consider commercial work.

marstaton4

I received an email today asking the same thing. Not sure what to think about it. At this point I haven't given it real thought, but don't really think it's something to be used frequently. Who knows.

I got it too, I told them that until the FAA came down with final guidelines I was holding off on any drone purchase but had money set aside for a future drone. Which is correct.. I personally don't want to touch that market until I can do so legally. I know a good number of guys that are already doing drone shoots illegally but that is a whole boatload of liability, if you happen to be the one guy they chose to make an example of.

dhart

I imagine the insurance premium (if you can get it) for flying a drone is going to be hefty. Personally I would not fly one unless I was sure proper insurance was in place beyond the FAA approval. Guys flying drones now face a double whammy in case of an accident. A civil lawsuit, plus a smack down from the FAA. Not worth the risk IMO.

svp

I have one and was getting a lot of work with it but made the decision to stop flying after I got my "DO NOT FLY" letter sent from the FAA via certified mail. I have plenty of other work to keep me busy and decided it wasn't worth the risk. I still fly it for my personal stuff just not for hire. I've considered applying for the exemption and from what I've heard the FAA is pretty much handing them out to anyone willing to take the time to do the paperwork and submit a safety operations plan (several people in OKC have gotten them) but I just haven't had the time to sit down and go through all of that.

On a side note, a guy I know here in OKC who is pretty much an expert on everything drones and knows the FAA regs inside and out told me that the new rules expected to be approved will exempt "microdrones" from all of the FAA requirements. A micro drone is any drone that weighs 4.4lbs or less and my drone weighs 4.35lbs so if that happens I won't have to jump through any of the FAA's hoops.