Need help w/tape in strange format

cyndygreen1

My local congressman's office called for help downloading a tape sent in by a volunteer who shot for the Library of Congress Veterans History Project. They can't reach the volunteer (of course) and the tape was shot more than a year ago.

It is a mini-dv, apparently shot with a prosumer possibly three chip camera (their guess/not mine). I put it in my HV20, which plays both standard def and hi def and has played back tapes with no issues from a variety of cameras. This one it won't play.

Anyone have any suggestions about what make of camera might take something like this...I have no clue at this point other than a camera message that says it can't recognize the format/wrong format.

Chugach3DGuy

Could it possibly have been shot with a JVC HDV camera? It's been a few years, but I thought there were some compatibility issues due to JVC's HDV codec recording video at 720p while Canon and Sony record 1080i/1080p

cyndygreen1

Thanks...and I should have thought of that. Know someone w/a Sony player that does both mini-dv and DVcam so will check w/them.

Necktie Boy

If it was shot with "DVCam" Codec, any Sony consumer camera will be able to play it back, ask long as the tape is a small tape.

Also that may be a copy since the Library of Congress Veterans History Project since they request orginal material. It could have been copied at the longer speed, and some cameras have problems playing that back.

JVC DV is a strange animal. It records at 19 Mbps while everyone else records at 25 Mbps...DV or HDV

MikeW

There are a number of reasons the tape will not play. The problem might be that the tape was shot in LP mode which pro decks can not read. Another possibility the heads on the camcorder might be out of line and the only deck it will play on is the very camcorder it was recorded on.

I have had both of these situations happen to me.

cyndygreen1

@Necktie Boy - it is the original. They didn't send it in to the LOC because they couldn't make the requisite DVD. I'm borrowing a Sony deck next week to check and if not that, will hunt around for a JVC. I'm betting on the Sony though.

cyndygreen1

They are supposed to submit both the original tape and a DVD. I don't know what happened...there have been issues with this group/person before. I'm just trying to help out and clean it up.

Necktie Boy

Cyndy,

That's nice of you to help them out. Can anyone in the group help you out? The camera that comes to mind that is a Sony DSR- PD150. That shots DVCam and DV. It seems likely.

Ben Longden

A wild guess.... PAL v NTSC, and DVCam.... But most Sony DVCam playback decks have a PAL/NTSC switch on the back... both of mine do.

As has been said, if it was DV shot on LP, then you can use a DV camcorder as a playback.. Ive been given a few Long Play MiniDV tapes to burn to disc, and the main decks have spat the dummy. But digging an old MiniDV camcorder out of the cupboard saved the day.

cyndygreen1

Heading over tomorrow to try the tape in a DVcam deck. Then a JVC camera. Already tried the high-def/standard def routine. Will let cha know how it goes.

Necktie Boy

Cyndy,

Have you solved your tape problem?

I do have a crazy idea that it may be Digtial 8? There are a few cameras still around.

cyndygreen1

Well the DVcam deck was a bust...meeting with a friend w/hi-def JVC on Thursday. Digital 8 on a mini-dv tape????? If possible, tell me how.

cyndygreen1

@ mikew...if I can't make it work tomorrow will suggest that to the folks in the office. It is either JVC (and that is costing me an ice cream sundae for the photog who is loaning me the camera to test it) or some idiot has a PAL camera and isn't telling.

Necktie Boy

If it's PAL, and not recorded in LP mode, the Sony deck with built-in monitors can play it back. I think the DSR-11 can playback PAL, but a PAL monitor is required!

But some high end Sony monitor can view PAL.

I can't wait to hear what format that tape is!

cyndygreen1

Chugach3DGuy - you were spot on. Former competitor (also retired) Dan Schueler dropped by and loaned me his JVC GY-HD100. Plays the tape flawlessly.

He declined the offer of the ice cream sundae. I now owe him a rubber cup for the viewfinder of this camera if anyone can help out. (and yeah, gonna go on JVC's site to see if they have any)

(later)
Negate the need for an eyecup. Miracle worker Amanda Emily found it for me.

Last edited: