Need A Job

jws1952

I am a photographer, editor, live truck operator with 20yrs experience looking for a full-time position. I am tired of the freelance life and looking for a staff position. Resume on request

jws1952

So Many Views

So many views but not one response. I guess things are tight out there for a photojournalist position

Stormgod

Things ARE tight. Many stations are cutting back on all positions. Some are indeed hiring VJs but few are hiring regular photogs anymore. Im in the same boat, but just took a Chief Photog job in a shop that is going VJ and I have the skills. I would get on line to whatever market you are interested in and check the tv stations websites for job openings, then send in a tape.

jajack71

I love Vegas but I will tell you the truth brother I worked there. Vegas is a great news town the photog's all over town are good guys and one lady (unless they hired another woman). Vegas is a rough news town and you will work hard. The pay sucks you will put in way more work than you get paid for but, you will have a good time working in Vegas. I wanted to come back to Vegas I really do but guess what the hold back is ? You guessed it the money.

So I found out there was a position at my old station KTNV 13 ABC. I left on good terms and called up the chief and asked about coming back and he told me that he could not pay me more than I was making when I left. I jumped to market 19 from 43 and they wanted me to go back to what I was making ???? I left and went to market 19 Orlando because the pay was so low in Vegas. Now personally I don't like Orlando . What I make in Orlando I did not even make in Vegas and I worked week ends WITH OVERTIME. ( Not saying the money in 19 is so great it's ok)

I'm just telling you this because I think Photog's should really tell other Photog's about different market instead of just filling bodies. Honest if you can handle making inbetween 16.00 to maybe 17.00 and hour then go for it. Now depends on where you are coming from that maybe be a good wage. Keep in mind that Vegas has no state income tax. They have the highest car insurance rates in the nation and renting is not cheap either. Most shop give little to nothing for moving expenses. One Photo that I worked with in anouther market told me what one of the Vegas stations gave him to relocate it was like 500.00 buck are you F-ing serious but that's Vegas.

Jason is a cool guy I have worked with him here and there. The Fox photogs are good dudes. Check out KTNV AND KVBC as well. Vegas is a good place to hustle freelance work as well. Like I said Vegas Photog's are a talented group. They will help you with anything you need.

I wish you the best in your Vegas quest.

engphotog21

Vegas isn't THAT horrible pay wise... I just moved here about 2 months ago, and I have an $840 one bedroom apartment, and a $250 a month car payment with $130 a month in car insurance (as the last guy said, insurance is salty out here...) throw that in with all the other monthly bills and at the end of the month I still have plenty of spending cash leftover. I do work about 10 hours of OT a week, and there are alot of free lance things you can do on the side once in a while if you so wish to partake... I know KVBC has one opening, I think I saw that KTNV had one, and I believe Justin had one opening at KVVU as well... check it out, and If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me...

jajack71

Ok I don't know what you are use to making but the man said he has been freelancing for over 20 years. There are not too many photog's in Vegas making over 45k trust me we all have had that conversation before. So I speak from experience JWS 1952. Vegas is fun and the main reason I'm not there because they have a hard time paying photog's a good wage meaning something you can live a comfortable life. Before you make that move just reach out to some of the guys that have been in town for more than two years they will give you
the 411.

jim sitton

PRO user
WPTV is hiring

West Palm Beach,Fl.

It's a great place but they pay you in "$unshine."
I've had opportunities at larger markets but choose quality of life over cold, big cities.
Guess I'm a small town boy, surfing and diving in paradise...

(untilthesummercomesandit'sover100degreesinthefreakin'shade!)

Come on down the waters warm.

jim sitton

PRO user
Salary range

I believe the salary range in this market is between
30-50K. Pretty expensive to live here too. But at least the summers are BRUTAL!

A Step Above Productions

Jim is correct - but the high end is for the guys who have been in the market longer than most Photogs have been alive.

From what I have heard you will start off at 30 no matter how long you have been shooting.

jajack71

That's why you have to be firm on what you want when you come in because you will never get the 50k. I swear the more work we do the less we get paid and underminded. I had this freak from Miami call me about a sat position even though I have no sat truck experience. He wanted to pay 40k to work in Miami. Now it's one thing if I was already livin there. Last time I checked a square ft of land in Miami was going for 50k per sq ft. He tried to run the old experience game on me I told him I was born yesterday I just stayed up for the past 30 sum yrs. Now if you see that I have no sat experience and you still call me that says one thing he did not want to pay for a sat op period experienced or not.