Need a better DVD recorder

Baltimore Shooter

I can't remember if I asked this or not, but I'm looking for a DVD recorder that can record video just like a VHS. What I mean is one that won't put a chapter menu in automatically.

I have a stand-alone Panasonic DVD recorder that I use for recording demos out of my edit system and it's great except that it puts a chapter menu onto the disc. I don't want the damn DVD chapters and such. I called Panasonic to see if there was a way to disable it and they said there's no way to disable it or hide it. This is damn well annoying. Does anyone know of a DVD recorder that I can record to without having a chapter menu appear?

Warren

svp

That's surprising. Most DVD recorders allow you to set the length of each chapter or shut the function off completely. I'm pretty sure all the Phillips models have this function.

Canonman

Warren, it's also available in some DVD authoring software as 'Kiosk Mode'. This is specifically a DVD without any menus that will just load and play endlessly until you stop it.

If you want a pure hardware solution, then SVP's advice might work out.

If you have or use a Mac, Imovie will burn a simple DVD w/o menus.

cm

Necktie Boy

Let me look at the manual for my Philips' DVD unit. I know that Premiere Pro does that. Pop the DVD in the unit...And it starts up....
My Philips is an older unit since it since had component in.

bottom_feeder

You can do it in DVD Studio Pro. Just set the menu to timeout at 0 and then jump to wherever in the track you want it to start playing at.
You can also endlessly loop it too.

SoMissTV

Sony makes a couple of standalone / USB/Firewire burners. We have one at the office, and it allows you to select whether to auto-set chapters or not. I also like the ability to plug into our computer as an extra burner.

SoMissTV

Thanks for the idea SoMissTV. Can you get the model # of that recorder for me?

Warren
The model we have is discontinued, but the current model is the Sony VRD-MC1 DVDirect DVD Recorder. The unit allows direct recording from any composite, S-video, or firewire source, and will interface with a computer via the USB port. The new model even has a small LCD screen for a confidence monitor. B&H carries it for $169.95. It's a very handy piece of equipment for one-off dubs and approval copies.

Sony also makes a couple of other models, as well. Just do a search for "Sony DVDirect" at B&H, and it'll pull them up.

Baltimore Shooter

Cool, thanks SoMiss. Does this DVDirect automatically put chapter menus on the disc or is there an option to disable the menus?

Warren

SoMissTV

On our model, you can disable the chapter feature. I'm not sure about the newest models. Perhaps you can download an instruction manual for it before you buy it.

Necktie Boy

Hi Warren,

I took a look at my manual for the Philips. My model won't delete the menu. It will hide and create chapters. But that Sony unit seems to the one to get.

Dedline

At work we have a Panasonic DVD burner but it's a more expensive model with the hard drive installed, so you can load your movie onto the HD, then burn as many copies as you want. It also can record straight to disc without any menu. I think it's over $200 though.