Nate Stewart Resume Tape

MMJ_Nate

Hey guys I need some honest feedback. I am a NPPA photographer turned MMJ reporter. I shoot, write, edit, then go live to front my packages. I've been shooting for 5 years and reporting 3 of those 5 years.

I've thrown together some stand ups and 2 pkgs I've shot in the last year. I feel like I've hit a plateau and I'm just doing the same thing everyday. I just want to continue improving upon what I do.

Can you guys take a look at my tape and offer and feedback, positive or negative, about my reporting/voicing/photography/editing/or presenting?

Reel found here:
www.tvnatestewart.com

or

on youtube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtjydsRWlDs&feature=player_embedded

Thanks!

-Nate

Latin Lens

Nate...nice work...you are very talented indeed. Overall it appears that you do a pretty good job with your shooting and reporting. Perhaps some of the standups are taken out of context (because all I see are the standups)...and I didn't quite get some of them and to me they looked weird...specifically the one where the camera is a pole and you're walking with it...that one seemed strange but again I am getting no context...maybe the pole had something to do with it? Besides the point. My point is...don't get too creative that it comes off as "hokey"...there's a fine line...people will either love it (managers) or hate it (jealous reporters, traditional photogs)...but be careful to not cross that line and force it because then it'll all come off as bad. I also tend to think (based on the two fully edited story) that the intros are attention grabbing but they tend to slow down just a little in the middle and end...you're writing is great...short, to the point, great flow...just find a way via nats to keep that early momentum going and sustaining...thats the hard part, sustaining....save some for the middle and end based on the theme of the intro you set...there's something to work on. I can't say I see a pattern in your shooting but I can tell that you love and will get some great artsy shots...but don't just be satisfied with getting the one and move on...keep looking around the vicinity of a great shot and find an even better one by getting more artsy/creative...then you'll start to add a new dimension of shooting that will help really stand out when gathering b-roll. My reporter hates that I schedule an hour to shoot b-roll...does it really take me an hour? Sometimes...but mostly I need the time to keep searching for better then better shots. Just keep moving, head on swivel...that way you won't get bored and it won't come off as formulaic...So keep up the good work...work on little things that will have huge impact.