MPEG Streamclip crashing

Chugach3DGuy

I have several MP4 files from some GoPro HD Hero cameras I recently used. I need to convert them to Quicktime MOVs or AVI files so I can get them into Premiere Pro CS3. Everything online I could find pointed me to MPEG Streamclip. Unfortunately, it refuses to convert anything. Whether I try one file at a time or set up a batch conversion, MPEG Streamclip works for about 2 seconds before completely crashing out. No error, no explanation, just that lovely faded window that Vista likes to show you followed by a "sorry, this program is no longer working" message.

These are all large files too. It's 1080p @30fps for approximately 2.5 hours, so nearly 14GB total, broken down into 3.66 GB MP4 files.

I'm not sure if I doing something wrong during setup, or if I need to look into using a different conversion program. What say you, fellow B-rollers?

All that I was able to find on Google were people having problems with an older version of Quicktime and complaints about MPEG Streamclip creating enormous ProRes 422 files.

Last edited:

Necktie Boy

Don't know if this will help, but it's free. Any Video Converter. I have just been using it to create 320 x 240 for my media player. It may work for you.

Chugach3DGuy

Thanks! I'll check it out, although I've found a similar solution. There's another program out there called MP4Cam2AVI, and it got the job done without a hitch. It's pretty fast too. It supposedly doesn't transcode the video, so there is no loss of quality. I think it just takes your video and "wraps" it into an AVI or MOV file so that any NLE can accept it. So far, so good.

INLANDNEWS

What kind of computer system are you running? Also do you have any programs open while running streamclip? Try re-downloading the latest version and re-installing. I use stream clip all the time with go-pro footage for import into Avid with no problems.

Chugach3DGuy

I have it installed on a pretty strong system- T9900 Processor, 8GB RAM, plenty of HDD space, etc. I tried multiple times with and without anything else running, and after a hard reboot. Aside from this project where I found the workaround mentioned above, I've never had a problem with Streamclip either. In fact, I just used it a couple times today to extract video from some DVDs.

I think it has something to do with the size or length of the files I'm trying to convert. Converting 15 minutes of video from a DVD, or 5 minutes of video from my GoPro camera works just fine. However, trying to feed a 16GB mp4 file brings it right to its knees.