mp4 Handout Issues and FCP

AKinDC

Hey folks,
I've had issues dealing with a few video files I've gotten as handouts at press conferences.
Both were named as .mp4 files, under "get info" they're in a h264 AAC codec.

When I import it into FCP and try to play it, I get an error message saying "General Error", and then "Error, Out of Memory"

The file plays fine in Quicktime, but when I try to export it into a new format, it gives me an error message saying, "movie contains an incorrect time value"

It also plays fine in Streamclip, but when I try and export to a new format, it gives me an "Error, can't prepare movie: message.

I'm running a top of the line mac with all the latest operating systems and updates.
Thanks..any ideas?

cyndygreen1

Welcome to file format insanity.

When I encounter a problem, I generally check out fileinfo.com; video files.

In looking there, they list two types of mp4 files - one is a common file and the other (mp4v) is video only and uncommon. There are also mpeg and mpeg4 files.

I'd guess one of three things - some one did not create the files properly or they were damaged during creation/copying or they are mislabeled.

fileinfo.com is neat because it links to programs that can convert problem files into usable files. Not always, but I've been lucky.

AKinDC

I'd guess one of three things - some one did not create the files properly or they were damaged during creation/copying or they are mislabeled.
That was my theory too, but this has happened to me three times in the past few months...which would be one heck of a coincidence.

cyndygreen1

So much for that theory.

I have my own personal problems with file formats. A friend gave me a Quicktime file created by FCP7 on her MacBook Pro. I have the same version of Quicktime player as she does, although she is one OX higher/newer than me.

Every time I attempt to import, all I get is a white screen. I use a MacBook w/FCE.

Ideas?

micaelb

I don't know if this will work for everyone but I've made a few Compressor Droplets that I drop a file into and it comes out the way I want it. It seems to work with a variety of formats in.

These are not fast if you make the settings all the highest quality. I made them for show editors who can drop a bunch of files in then work on other stuff while the files are converted. I made one that has our pillars included as a watermark so those don't have to be added in FCP.

Focused

This just happened to me today, with my own gear.

I grabbed some POV shots with my GoPro. When I imported them into FCP I got the same scenario as MichaelB described down to the last general error message.

I have had this unit for almost a year now with not a single problem. It affected my MacPro as well as my Mac BookPro. I am running FCP 6.0.6

This was just personal test footage so nothing lost... today. Hope to get it fixed ASAP. Any other leads on a solution?

goodfoot

I've had the same problem. I open the MP4 file with MPEG Streamclip, then convert it to a quicktime .mov. Works great.

upclose

Watch your Codec

Final Cut Pro won't handle .mp4's and it doesn't like H.264 either. Maybe they'll fix it in the next version. In the meantime, I use MPEG Streamclip to convert the files. It's not enough to just convert to Quicktime, you have to be careful with the codec too. Convert the mp4 to quicktime, and choose prores 422 for your codec. I understand prores won't work with Final Cut Express, so you might want to use photo jpeg for that. Also, watch your frame rate. Some flipcams or GoPro might shoot at 30fps or something else very weird. While you're converting the clip, make sure the frame rate is set for 29.97 for 1080i and standard def, or 59.94 for 720P.

nautilusvideo

Final Cut Pro won't handle .mp4's and it doesn't like H.264 either.
FCP handles mpg4 & H.264 just fine. I regularly import and export these files into and out of FCP 6.06 & 7.4 regularly and have no problems.

As others have suggested your problem files were most likely poorly/incorrectly encoded and/or corrupted. I've also had good luck with MPEG Streamclip when working with problem files.

Lensmith

I've used HandBrake to solve file issues in the past. It's not perfect, but it's free! ;)

FCP 7 will handle mpg4 & H.264 just fine. I use it all the time and just put up with the rendering time needed.

SoMissTV

So much for that theory.

I have my own personal problems with file formats. A friend gave me a Quicktime file created by FCP7 on her MacBook Pro. I have the same version of Quicktime player as she does, although she is one OX higher/newer than me.

Every time I attempt to import, all I get is a white screen. I use a MacBook w/FCE.

Ideas?
If you're using FCE and she's using FCP, she has access to a much larger collection of codecs than you. I'm willing to bet she exported in a codec (like DVCPROHD) that you will be unable to open.

As we know, Final Cut Pro is a non-linear and non-destructive editing software application, it can only import non-destructive video format including DV, HDV, P2 MXF (DVCProHD), XDCAM, and 2K film formats. Nevertheless, the widely used MP4 is lossy format, which is a final delivery file type and is heavily compressed. In order to successfully import MP4 to Final Cut Pro, we have to convert the lossy MP4 to non-destructive format like DV which is compatible with FCP.

just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Convert MP4 to DV so as to Import MP4 into FCP/FCE

you will find a simply method to convert mp4 to dv

hope it helps more or less

goncalves

Final Cut Pro. Mp4 and they do not like or H.264. May establish in the next version. In the meantime, I use MPEG Streamclip to convert the file. It is not enough to just change Quicktime, be careful with the codec too. Convert Quicktime mp4, and select the ProRes 422 codec. I understand ProRes does not work with Final Cut Express, so you can use for jpeg images. Also, watch your frame rate. Some or flip GoPro cams can shoot at 30 fps or something very strange. When a clip to convert, make sure the frame rate set to 29.97 for standard definition and 1080i or 720p 59.94 for them. :rolleyes:

CurveHips

This is a huge relief for me, I have been struggling to import stuffs for my MP4 player. Thank God finally came to the ideal thread.

I don't think H.264 MP4 is an ideal editing format for Final Cut Pro. As I got some MP4 clips from my GoPro HD, FCP 7 on my Mac Lion can't support the files. The workaround I got is to transcode the H.264 MP4 videos to Apple ProRes for Final Cut Pro using Brorsoft Video Converter Mac. If you donot mind the conversion process, you will have a try. It ensures the flawless editing work.