Moving Up

I am a staffer in a Small/Medium market. I have 9 yrs shooting exp. I try to learn something new everyday but the number of new things just isn't as big as it used to be.

My question is this. I have a good chief and do not want his job. However, I would like to move up to a chief job(even with the headaches). Moving is not really an option. My family is rooted here.

I am confident I can handle the responsibilites, but I just don't know where to turn my ambitions. What can I do? Do I just have to tough it out and wait for my chief to leave? I am a team player and try to lead and set a good example. Thanks for the help. I will answer questions if you have any.

Lensmith

Forgive me...I'm killing time this morning before a little work so I'm going to take a shot at "advice".

How many shops in your town produce a television newscast?

I have to tell you, the not being able to move part is going to work against you if being a chief is your goal. Maybe not work against you but...you're going to have to be VERY patient, unless an "accident" should happen to your current chief.;)

Nine years is a good amount of time and I don't blame you for looking to expand your challenges.

Are you sure you're being realistic with this goal?

Latin Lens

This is an interesting thread because I was pondering the same a few weeks ago.

I have a total of 8 years shooting and sometimes I find myself looking for the challenge of being chief. So its good to know i am not the only one going through this kindaof stuff alone.

Anyways, back to you.......I think not moving will ask you to be patient. Obviously being rooted into a community is hard to break but i think if you really want to take on this next challenge you should consider moving. There are ample oppurtunities that you deserve to go after.

And i say this because i like to live my life with no regrets....i would rather know than wonder for the rest of my life what could have been. But make a wise choice and find happiness in whatever you decide.

And if we both apply for the same chief job, i hope i beat you out. Just kidding. No really, i hope i bury you........

DERF

I have to go along with Lensmith on this one. If you are wanting to move up then you need to be willing to move on. Maybe try a smaller market than yours and see if you even like the Chief position. That is what happened to me. I became Chief in market 184 after being in Market 42 for four years. Found that I enjoyed it and when the chance came again at a different station in market 42 I took the job. Did it for two and a half years and enjoyed most of it.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the Chief leaving and you moving in unless you have specifically spoken to him and your N.D. about your desire. Don't hesitate to let them know that you would like that role someday (either there or somewhere else). Maybe they would be willing to make you an assistant Chief. Some stations have them and I think that it is a good idea and a good training option for future Chiefs. It would give you an idea of whether you would like to move into the head position or not.

Best of luck and don't be afraid to talk to your superiors about this. Unless you know for a fact that they are not open to such ideas. But if you are a good employee and they have no problems with you then it might be worth a try.

yellowbeta

Have you talked with your Chief about your desire to grow? He/She may be able to help.

I worked out a deal with my past chief so I could take on the roll as his assistant. As I grew, I became the "go to" person for additional training and equipment upkeep.

Now I've been chief for about a year and have already started training someone to someday become the next chief.

Thanks for the responses. I'm willing to wait some. I don't think I can convince my wife to move.

It's just something that's been bouncing around my head and needed to get it out.

I haven't discussed it with the chief here. I have talked generally with the ND that a goal of mine is to become a chief. I wasn't sure how to broach the subject with the chief because I didn't want him
to think I was gunning for his job.

I have thought about the assistant thing. However, we have an assistant here. I do help out with some training on equipment. I like that and know that doing little things like this help the chief and ND and it gives me experience.

Thanks again for the advice.

paulisphotoman

Patience !!! I had the same desire as you to move up...In fact, I was a Photographer in a small market in TX, although I worked in production, I was bored...I finally moved to a major market of Houston...I thought I was on my way...Unfortunately, I didn't do enough research, since the Executive Producer was the biggest jerk/a**hole I'd ever met or worked for...The crew was great, but never seen or experienced such bad management in my life...the simple lesson, be careful what you wish for...If you can't move or don't too, then you'll have to look elsewhere or just continue to improve on your skills...dont' complain, be grateful yo uhave work, keep improving and you will get noticed..you will have to move to get those better jobs, but do your research and ask questions about your work and how to improve....