moving on

paulisphotoman

Just out of curiosity, is there a specific time frame that many employers look at when looking at potential photographers then they apply, I'm mainly talking about how long they've been at their current position ??

I am now working in the SW with my goal to make a permanent move back to the midwest. I was in the SE for most of my career, and am missing the area. I've been in the SW for about 6 months and originally plan to do a year, but have applied to a few positions I want to move to permanently....

I know it's always nice to see a person to some time somewhere, but I've been doing this for 10 years, so I was just wondering

oldman

for me the tape is the way in.... length of experience is secondary to a demonstration of skill. i have interviewed photogs with decades of experience who dont have the tools that a shooter with only two years has.

then attitude during the interview seals the deal...when i peel the onion on the candidate if i find bad spots that are often built up over years of working the older shooter loses out to a youngster that still has the fire...

that said....your experience can be a true asset...sell your knowledge of how to handle difficult and trying situations in your cover letter and on your tape.... and follow up with it during your interview.

good luck!

paulisphotoman

thanks for your input..I've been a Photographer for 10 years working in both news and production now back shooting news.
I've seen various crew members spend years at one place due to their families, but have also those single people, like me, move around alot to different places until they get experience then find a home, etc...I do know it's not just what's on your tape/abilitesv (althought it's very very important), but also personality, how you handle yourself professionally, etc...I'm in the SW, being form the midwest and am looking to move permanently back to the midwest for my final move...

paulisphotoman

hey " oldman ", I was curious about what you said about hiring younger guys than older seasoned guys...what wre you meaning by that ??

wanabhee

I have read what is being said above about experience and I'm just wondering... I am just starting my career as a photog here in a small market and I want to move on. I only have less than a year of experience but some said that it looks like I have been shooting for more that 2 years. I applied to a few some 70 market and below and I haven't heard from them. And I'm kinda curious if is it because of my experience that I haven't got any reply......

bajjajed

I'd like to add a question to this: like wanabhee, I'm just starting my photog career. I'm approaching 9 months at a very small market. I have been told by an amazingly prominent photog that he would have guessed I've been shooting 3 or 4 years. And he's right, I've been doing videography for over 4 years but only 9 months at NEWS. My resume reflects this and I have been sending out tapes and also haven't had any replies. Is my Videography experience not as relevant as I think it should be? Do NDs and Chiefs only consider the news photog portion? Any chiefs or veterans I'd appreciate your feedback.

BluesDaddy

bajjajed said:
Is my Videography experience not as relevant as I think it should be? Do NDs and Chiefs only consider the news photog portion?
News experience is much more valuable to me than the same amount of "videography" experience. This is not meant to belittle what you have done in your career, but by way of explanation.
To me, news shooting is a different animal than pretty much anything else you can do with a camera. If I am looking at you as a potential hire, I want to know if you know how to run a microwave van without killing yourself, how to handle someone yelling at you and threatening to hurt you if you don't get off the public street in front of their house, how to work with a reporter who is "impossible" to work with, how to meet a tight deadline without self-destructing, etc, etc.
To quote Larry, the photog in "Groundhog Day", "People think that all cameramen do is point the camera at things, but it's a *heck* of a lot more complicated than that."
Couldn't have said it any better than that.

bajjajed

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, but, hypothetically, if you saw my tape and you liked it, then you read my resume and saw the videography experience in there, would that help my chances of getting the job?

BluesDaddy

The videography experience helps in the sense that it is time spent with a camera. But, it would be qualified in my mind as non-news experience, and I would have to decide (through phone or in-person interview) if I felt like you would "get" news shooting. Some do, some don't.
If you can put together a good tape of all news stuff, you should be in good shape. Resist the urge to put your non-news work on your tape. A chief is not going to care if you can do weddings or skateboard videos.

SandRat

Xtreme!!!

BluesDaddy said:
A chief is not going to care if you can do weddings or skateboard videos.
... and please no "extreme sports" set to music (at least include some nats if you do), well lit live shots are nice, but don't bother with cameo-celebrity shots unless they are part of a well-shot story and no random beauty/action/event/money-shot montages, please (if you include them, put'em at the end).

Back on topic, the most important thing is a good person that has the understanding and basic knowledge of photography. Your tape can be mediocre, but if you know what sucks about it, you recognize what needs improvement and you know how to use the tools of the job ... plus handling the occasional instance of intense pressure.

bajjajed

I have a degree in film and tv so I've seen my share of skateboard music videos and they're mediocre at best, and definately not news.
I've been adhering to the Dave Wertheimer method of:
1. Spot News
2. General Assignment
3. Feature
Bing, bang, boom. 3 stories, no more. Is this appropriate?

SandRatthe most important thing is a good person that has the understanding and basic knowledge of photography. Your tape can be mediocre said:
How can I get this across at the resume level? I think I know what my weaknesses are and I believe I'm getting better all the time. Plus my fiance is a pretty harsh judge so I take her criticisms and everyone else's to heart daily. But to explain all this I need at least a phone interview.

BluesDaddy

Sounds like you're on the right track. The only other advice I can give is the classic "shoot like you're where you want to be, not where you are." That means the level of quality and the style. A tape that would get you hired in Miami probably wouldn't even get you a call-back in Minneapolis.

Like most have said, shooting news is something completely different than most anything else. If I saw your tape and liked it, I would look at the resume, but the tape will carry a lot more weight than a resume. Your tape is your baby, send a good tape & everything else "should" fall into place. That's not to say this happens everytime, because it doesn't. I'm saying from my standpoint, tape is #1, resume & interview #2. Keep working at it, and send out tapes to places to see if any chiefs will just critique your tape and get feedback from as many people. Their is no universal tape, or way of shooting everyone is looking for something different, and put things in different order. The more you have in your bag of tricks, the better off you'll be to adapt in more places. Hope this helps, and if you want send a tape & I'll give my 2 cents. Good luck