Moving avid projects

B&T

I figure you guys can help. I am trying to save entire avid projects onto an external firewire drive. I might be having to edit between two computers. Both computers have the same version of Avid Express Pro. one is a desktop iMac, the other is a MacBook Pro. Both edit just fine, but sometimes it's more convenient to edit on one or the other. What do i need to do to make the media and the pointers and all associated files go to one drive? And then how do i reconnect/launch it all again on the next computer. The projects i am working on have about 40 mins of raw footage and the final pieces are between 2-3mins. The firewire drive is 320 gb.

Thanks for any help you may post!

Zach Maupin

shootist

PRO user
i can tell you how i do it with my pc wokstation and laptop. i would think it's the same with the macs but i've never done it.

connect the external hard drive to the computer you currently have your project on and make sure it is recognized. (you may have to reboot after connecting).

open your project and bin(s). highlight all your elements and consolidate them to the external hard drive. for organizational purposes i move the new "pointers" to a separate bin and name the bin accordingly. (as in "myprojectEH or somesuch)

HERE'S THE IMPORTANT PART: at this point the media exists on the hard drive but is basically unusable until "bin information" is transferred as well.

after consolidating, go to FILE>SAVE BIN FILE AS and name the bin something relevant and SAVE IT TO THE EXTERNAL HD.

now you can connect the hard drive to your other computer. open avid .

go to FILE>OPEN BIN. in the dialog box, select your hard drive and select the bin (.avb file) you want to open. it'll pop up in the project window upon opening.

important to remember if you plan on moving back and forth between computers.
as you edit, you'll obviously be making changes to the bin information. so when you're done with an edit session, go through the "save bin file as" process and overwrite the bin info on the external hard drive....so when you go back to the other computer, you'll have all the changes as well.