.mov to .wmv files using Flip4MAC HD Pro from FCP 6.0

dhart

Anyone up on this program? The manual is pretty much useless. I've tried a number of settings all to no avail. What's the secret handshake? Waiting for email back from tech support but thought someone might know on this forum.

Focused

free or retail

Are you using the free version of did you purchase the actual software? That makes a huge difference.

The free stuff worked only on basic things and only for a couple of days. I did buy the retail version and was able to complete actual work. But like you said the directions are crap. I eventually moved over to different programs and haven't used it for a long time.

Thats not really an answer but it's all I've got.

grassland

Use export>Quicktime conversion

I have Flip4mac on my Final Cut 6 system and wmv shows up as an option in Export Using QuickTime conversion. The pathway is File> Export>Using QuickTime Conversion. When you get the save window, click on the Format list and .wmv should appear along with the other output format choices. If you want to customize the .wmv file, click on the options button and you can change the settings, size, etc. If you don't want to customize, just click on save.

Good luck.

dhart

Grassland,

Have you attempted to convert an HD .mov to an HD wmv. file? I have tried every setting under the sun and no luck. Terrible strobing when panning. I've changed the frame and data rates no luck. Weird, becuase it plays back just fine on the QT file. I'm beginning to wonder if the HD conversion portion of this program actually works. Also no WMV codec selection shows up on Compressor 2, so it's really not true that it works with Compressor is it?

grassland

I have not tried to convert and HD file to .wmv. And I have noticed that playback of .wmv files is not nearly as clean as QT files. As to producing .wmv files in Compressor, I haven't tried that either. I understand that some folks are using DV Kitchen for file conversion. I appears to be a good value and to be user friendly. Check it out here: http://www.dvcreators.net/downloads/

dhart

Flip4mac tech support basically conceded that their program can not convert 1080 HD.mov to HD.WMV without strobing in the pans. Great. But I found a hardware device (at my local duplication house) that convert it to 720p but only if I sent the frame rate to 60fps when I make the master QT file. Makes one long for the good old days of VHS dubs :)

dhart

Okay, I finally got it done but here's the trick. Can not convert to 1080i. But 720P works just fine. Also do not check your work on a Mac thru Flip4Mac (always strobes, not matter what). Plays back just fine on a windoze system.