Mixing HMI brands

Starman

Question,

I have a Kobold 200w HMI.

I would like to add a 400 watt to my kit.

However, should I buy another Kobold? Or will another brand be okay? Wouldn't the color be the same from both lamps if I used the same bulb?

Tv Shooter

The bulbs are the same across Bron, K5600, and Mole, so no big deal. I mix a Joker and Bron all the time.

Starman

Cool, another question, should i consider selling all HMI's and going with LED's? I have heard rumors that HMI's are going the way of the dinosaur.

AKinDC

Cool, another question, should i consider selling all HMI's and going with LED's? I have heard rumors that HMI's are going the way of the dinosaur.
If you're using HMIs in the 200/400 range, yes...move to LED.
For stronger lights, you're probably still better off with HMIs.

Run&Gun

HMI lamps do shift in color temp as they age, but you don't have to worry about mixing different brands/manufacturers like with LED's.

Bron Kobold just announced a new 1600 watt HMI and I'm interested(I have two of their 800's). Well, I haven't seen pricing yet, so that may change. Lol

LED's can hang with the smaller wattage HMI's, but the ones that can hang with the higher wattage ones are pricey and physically very large and if you look at the photometrics, the LED fixtures really are not equivalent to the HMI's the manufacturers claim they are.

Starman

Alright. I sold my Chinese HMI, the ballast was not flicker free. I have survived with the 200 watt Bron, fine in broad daylight if I use at least a 3/4 stop silk and a net behind the talent. Would like a 400 or stronger though, depends on my budget, 600watt would be ideal. Thanks for the tips, I like HMI's, I DO use Dracast 1x1 LED's the 30 degree beam spread light works pretty well for overcast days for outside interviews, but otherwise it's either silks and a reflector or an HMI if I have power.