Military Broadcaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

wimbly

Chiefs,

I am a military broadcast Journalist (national guard) who recently got back from Iraq.

I am trying to put together a demo reel but have a few questions.

First...ALL of my video is military related. I did features mostly, and a few action stories (raids and stuff). Will that be a ding on me?

Second...I have never worked for a TV station, but HAVE worked day in and day out (LONG days) shooting, editing, writing, and reporting. (we are really one-man bands.) Is this a ding against me.

Any advice I could get would be great. THANKS!

Dave Hall
Springfield, IL

LongTimePhotog

IMO your way ahead of some of your peers. You know story structure from many different levels. I think most chiefs want to see good sequenced video, nat sound use and beg.middle.end. Don't worry about being all military stuff. Good luck.

focusthis

Former Norfolk shooter here:

1. I lean towards the features. What I would look for is a solid story supported by video and sound, shot to a great degree of attention to skill. So what if everyone is in uniform. Even the action stories need to tell a story. Do you have any in the 1:30 range?

2. I agree that it is a good thing you've shot-written-edited. You will find that local news demands a variation of these qualities. Tighter deadlines, tighter shooting "workflow", and be able to think fast on your feet when it hits the fan.

You may find it far easier or far more difficult. I've never been in the military, but I've done enough Navy stories to experience the constraints of shooting amongst the military. The latitude you enjoy as a civilian can be liberating. But what if the lack of structure leaves you without direction?

Go to WVEC.com and email Mike Gooding. He's their long-time military reporter who knows his Jayhawks from his Blackhawks. Perhaps he can give you more insight about what that station expects to see in Mike's stories. Send me a BetaSX deck, and I'll send some of the packages we did. :D

[ July 19, 2005, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: focusthis ]

NewsMan

If your shooting is good... you should be fine regardless of approach. Right now the US seems to be reeling from a lack of good shooters as they all runn for the hills as Michael Rosenblums takes over!!

wimbly

All,

Thanks for the replies. You have been very helpful and I will take your advice.

Thanks!

Dave

ps...If you know of anyone needing a shooter/reporter in the CO Springs area..let me know... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.