Mic too sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabounk

For those of you audio experts:

Recently I purchased a Sennheiser ME66 shotgun mic with the K6 power unit and a standard velour foam windscreen. I use it on a Philips 700 series DVCPRO camera. Overall it is a great mic. It is sensitive enought to pick up the sound of the camera humming if I mount it directly. My problem comes with very loud noises or wind. I have to turn the audio on the cam as low as possible and it still overmodulates or the sound "pops" off.

For the most part it has been great but I am concerned for when I have to do an important shoot in a noisy place like an airport or a loud factory.

Should I invest in a "Fun Fur" wind screen and set the camera to "line" instead of "mic" in loud conditions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

dinosaur

Get a Shure Switchable Attenuator.
Knock that hot ME 66 down 15db.
Switching to line input would be too much pad.
For wind noise get a Rycote Softie.
A Shure Switchable Attenuator is a good item for your run bag anyway. Perfect for the "too hot" PA or mult system feed that you may run across now and then.

T

<try this>

Get your engineering dept to make a 6db-10db pad inside one connector of your xlr cable. Works great for me.

Dedline

Easy fix. I've done it with the same mic.
In your engineering menu settings, you should be able to adjust your audio input level on that XLR input. I stepped my input level down 20db or so. the problem is your shotgun is outputting a higher level due to it being a condenser mic (powered either with battery or phantom power through cam). Only caveat to my setup is if I plug a regular mic into that frontside XLR, I've got to crank it to get a good level, unless I go back into the menu. try a different level and see which setting works best with your hook up. with our cams you have to hold shift while u switch the menu on to get to the engineering menu. good luck

thru-the-lens

Dedline is right on this one go into the engineering menu and make the adjustment there.

thru-the-lens.

"Racing is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." --Steve McQueen

V

<vididoc>

Does anyone have any good tricks to cut down on the noise from the rolling camera? I have a Sony D30 with the on camera mic and it really picks up the hum from the camera. Outside of removing it from the camera (I have an ME-80 I use off camera) is there a way to cut down the noise. I've thought about adding padding to the mount etc...

Dedline

I happen to have a pricey expensive shotgun mount, which just seems to me to have a larger rubber insulation between the mic and the actual mount. Maybe try cutting up a piece of bike inner tube and roll it around ur mic under the mount? just an idea. Also if it's the ME80 try and make sure the front end is a little ahead of your viewfinder, not so far back that it can still pick up from the VF and head.

Status
Not open for further replies.