mic cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost in Alaska

When the photogs are done with interviews, instead of cranking them down while winding the mics around the transmitter, unplug the mic if possible. I keep mine in an old Altoids box with a spare 9V battery.

Chances are the wire strands are being repetedly bent at the same place while being pulled too much. The plastic coating does nothing for strain relief.

SmlMktChief

I wrap mine LOOSELY around my hand and hold the loop together with the mic clip. I also carry all my mic equipment, wireless transmitter, lav mic etc. in a fanny pack. It keeps it all together and you don't have to worry about the reporter losing you gear. NEVER pick up your wireless by the cord, whether it is attached to the transmitter or not.

Deaf and Blind

Firstly Hire a sound guy and let him / her do it properly while looking after the audio gear.

Second: Buy all new equipment for your soundie and never touch it again on pain of death.

Baltimore Shooter

Originally posted by Lost in Alaska:
When the photogs are done with interviews, instead of cranking them down while winding the mics around the transmitter, unplug the mic if possible. I keep mine in an old Altoids box with a spare 9V battery.

Chances are the wire strands are being repetedly bent at the same place while being pulled too much. The plastic coating does nothing for strain relief.
EXACTLY!!!

You can't expect them to last if you wind them up like an electrial cord. They're just like an XLR cable, only smaller, thus more fragile. Use the over-under technique just as you would for XLR cables. I've had my Lectro mics for 6yrs and no broken wires yet, because I wind them over-under. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Warren

addixicon

Originally posted by Lost in Alaska:

I have to say that I disagree with this methhod, the pins in the connectors are going to suffer a lot more abuse when constantly unplugging and plugging them, and those pins are made of malleable metal and are easily bent. Maybe I feel that way because I am using Sony Wireless...but Ive had to replace parts for abuse both ways, and finally realized, that the less I plug and unplug the lav from the transmitter, the less likely it will lose or bend a pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.