I've been editing Final Cut for years in my edit bay,
but now i've been issued a mac book pro laptop
and can't seem to find media start/end.

Any other lil quirks I should know?

Thanks,

Jim

grassland

Media Start/End in browser

If you're looking for the Media Start/Media End columns in the Browser and they don't appear in their usual spots, try moving the "jelly bean" at the bottom of the Browser window to the right to see all the columns available. When you see the Media Start column, click on the column heading at the top of the Browser and drag the column into the position you want it to appear--usually the first column the right of the clip titles in the Browser. Do the same with the Media End column.

Hope this helps.

grassland

Here is another thing to try. Control click with on any data column in the Browser and be sure that Logging Columns is checked.

jim sitton

PRO user
Those tips help too, but i'm asking about jumping to the beginning or end of the timeline/sequence.
On a desktop there are Media start/media end buttons. On a laptop there are no such buttons?
Thanks,

Jim

grassland

So, you're looking for the keyboard shortcuts, "home" and "end" on a laptop. The only way I can think of for accomplishing this is to re-map your keyboard to put these functions on different keys, since laptops don't have home or end keys.

Do this under the Tools menu--Tools>Keyboard Layout>Customize. This will let you assign keyboard functions as you wish. Once the Keyboard layout appears, be sure that it is unlocked (lower left corner) then type "home" in the search field. The 'home" icon will appear and you can drag it to the key you want to use to go to media start. Do the same with the "end" key, then save your new keyboard layout under the Tools>Keyboard Layout menu. Now you can recall this layout under Tools>Keyboard Layout>Load whenever you want.

If you want to return to the default keyboard layout, you can do that under the Tools menu as well.

Good luck.