Madonna on NBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lensmith

Anyone else notice Tom Tanquery was director of photography?

I hope Ivan didn't see the PD 150 video ;o)

Lensmith

I should explain I wasn't posting this thread to bash another photogs work. I was just surprised to see his name at the end of the show.

I guess I'm a closet Madonna fan ;o)

I'd always heard how picky she was about how she was lit and framed for interviews. The sit down was beautiful but there were a couple of segments where they forced the PD-150 video in and I felt it detracted from the final product. Let's just say I'm pretty sure an experienced photog wasn't shooting the little cam due to the overexposed video and auto focus/iris moments.

It was nice seeing a familiar NPPA name on credits though ;o)

I

imported_blank

Hi LS,

Although I am not a Madonna fan - last night after the Canucks win :p , I saw your post and decided to check out the show. Thank God for the Pacific Time Zone were the show hasn't aired yet.

Originally posted by Lensmith:
The sit down was beautiful but there were a couple of segments where they forced the PD-150 video in and I felt it detracted from the final product. Let's just say I'm pretty sure an experienced photog wasn't shooting the little cam due to the overexposed video and auto focus/iris moments.
Although I didn't see the first ten minutes or the last segment of the show I seen enough to note as cameragod would say, this looks like a classic case were the consultant would claim n LIE another show shot by a handycam when in reality the majority of the show (from what I seen) was shot by a genuine beta crew :D . Yes LS, I too saw were they forced the amateur looking handycam footage in.

It was bad enough for MADONNA to ruin a classic LED ZEPPELIN tune but seeing that amateur handy-cam footage thrown in is what really pissed my dog off. :mad:

Seems like a case were the producer or assistant to the producer grabbed his personal handycam just to try and ruin the real cameraman's work - thinking no one will be able to tell the difference. I guess a few people could indeed tell, eh? :rolleyes: I only hope that few of the NBC folks took note or else they will stop all together using real cameraman and NBC mags will rely on handycam coffee boys -turn the fine quality mags into a certain section of NBC hard news amateur crap. :mad: But you n I can tell the dif - eh! LS?

Originally posted by Terry E. Toller:
Let's face it, the mini DV formats and small cameras are a joke. They will never find their place in the business, right?

T

<truth in advertising?>

Originally posted by Ivan
Although I didn't see the first ten minutes or the last segment of the show I seen enough to note as cameragod would say, this looks like a classic case were the consultant would claim n LIE another show shot by a handycam when in reality the majority of the show (from what I seen) was shot by a genuine beta crew . Yes LS, I too saw were they forced the amateur looking handycam footage in.
Kinda off point, but I gotta vent somewhere.
I've been seeing more than a few ads lately for used Canon XL-1's - a camera I kinda like, claim the film "Traffic" was shot with one. Actaully, it was another Steven Soderbergh film, "Full Frontal" that was shot with the XL-1. "Traffic" was shot in glorious 35mm. The films look quite different.

I wonder how many novices ran out to buy one thinking they could shoot something like "Traffic" themselves.

S

<saw it>

Originally posted by Lensmith:
Anyone else notice Tom Tanquery was director of photography?

I hope Ivan didn't see the PD 150 video ;o)
A classic example of a one trick pony photographer. Nice light on the interviews. The B-roll looked small market. The good photogs do interviews AND b-roll.

E

<EVEMAG>

Notice that there weren't any tight shots on the interview. All American shots which happens to be the title of her new CD. I thought that the mini-dv in the hallway and the elevator worked pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.