Mac Question

I will be purchasing a Mac Book Pro this spring for work and it will be running Final Cut Studio (with external HD). Other than just maxing it out (which would max out the budget) does anyone have any suggestions as to what specs I should set this up with? IE: Ram, memory, etc. :confused:

This is my first mac....I'm sick of PC and I was impressed with the FCP Demo I tried.

Thanks!

long521

RAM is the most important thing for editing. The more the better. It allows the computer to store what you are working on without reading from the hard drive as often.
If you plan on using an external hard drive, don't worry too much about the size of the internal hard drive.

Sportsguy

If you don't max out the RAM from the factory (which is expensive and unnecessary) I'd order some Kingston memory online. It's WAY cheaper than Apple's memory, and just as good. (Try $300 to $30.)

I think you can go with 3GB on a new MBP.

bluffton

just read the specs for fcp and get that. I think it's 2G ram and at least 80gigs storage on HD. Since you are getting a Mac, I'd stick with their hardware like ram. That way if something goes wrong, your warranty will cover it. Good Luck.

Canonman

just read the specs for fcp and get that. I think it's 2G ram and at least 80gigs storage on HD. Since you are getting a Mac, I'd stick with their hardware like ram. That way if something goes wrong, your warranty will cover it. Good Luck.
Crucial Memory is a very reputable second source for all types of Mac memory. As long as one is comfortable with installing it themselves, there's no need to pay all that extra money.

JMHO,

cm

shoot da parrot

Here's what I have on my macbook pro and I have had no issues.

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP21.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.14f5
Serial Number: W8647317W0J
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Filter_5

Good choice going with FCP, you won't regret that one. I edit onto external drives as well, I use firewire 800 instead of 400 or usb, just helps things run a little faster.

grassland

Apple Care

I have several Macs and Apple monitors. My advice is to alway purchase the Apple Care extended warranty. It's cheap insurance!

acton

If your on the road with it alot, get a Lacie Rugged 100Gig. Just make sure all your external drive spin at 7200 rpm or faster. 5400 works for dv, but it isn't recommended.
Long term storage, get some nice fat 500 Gig drives and back up your mac often.

acton

104imdirect

protect your investment

AppleCare is well worth the money, but also protect your investment with simple protection. I have a see through hard case from Speck Products, as well as a Booq Vyper hard case for traveling. Doesn't hurt to get a spare battery as well.

micaelb

Another question here, I am guessing everything mentioned above will hold true editing HD on a MacBook Pro? Any other concerns? The camera would be the PMW-EX1 with either the USB cardreader or a firewire transfer to the MacBook.

Necktie Boy

For HD, more memory and go with an ESata Hardrives for the speed. If you plan to edit HD Video, Sata drives are a must.

Douglas

I agree that eSATA is the best type of drive for editing, but it does make using the EX1 a little inconvenient if you have a MacBook Pro and are planning on using the internal Express Card slot to ingest clips direct from the SxS cards.

To use an eSATA drive with the MacBook Pro you'll have to get an eSATA Express Card adapter to add eSATA ports to the computer. And that will tie up your only Express Card slot.

So, in order to transfer EX1 clips to the eSATA drive you'll either have to use the camera itself as a drive and import via USB; or get the optional external Sony SxS card reader and import via USB from that instead. FYI, there is no firewire method of importing clips.

It's not a big deal, but it's just something to be aware of.

If you're going to use the EX1 with a MacBook Pro, I'd suggest maybe editing with Firewire 800 drives instead of eSATA. You'll barely be able to tell the difference in performance, you'll be able to daisy chain your drives, and overall it will be more convenient.

Doug
www.VortexMedia.com

Last edited: