Looking for AVID to learn on.

focusthis

It seems like Avid is aiming for the upper end of the edit market. Where can I get a version at a low price to run at home and learn on? I'm told even the older software is very similar in feel to the current/higher end products. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just something other than FreeDV to get used to their interface.

Please no direction to FCP, Adobe, etc. Avid only.

Thanks B-roll world!

ben-s

XpressDV used to be the lower end system, but it's now EOL, making Media Composer the cheapest option.
You might be able to get a second hand Media composer 2 system off someone upgrading to v3.

If you know any students, you can get an educational version at a very good price, but you can't use it for commercial work without breaking the terms of the EULA.

I'm in a similar boat myself, using MC at work, but wanting an Avid system other than FreeDV to use personally.

Necktie Boy

Free DV is not bad to learn on. If your just want to learn the basics, Free DV is good for that. I don't know off hand, but I think you keep the old dongle for the upgrade. One thing that using Avid doesn't let you use multiple computer...You need the dongle. And if you do find a used software or system, make sure you get the dongle.

2 Hungry Dogs

I have the software for Avid Express Pro that I just decommissioned when I switched over to FCP. It even has the full studio package.

I still need to the computer for other purposes, but don't need the software. Send me a PM and we can talk about it.