Life after an accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

<TALL IN ABQ>

I got in an accident with a live truck over the weekend. It was my falt. And the station has let me go. Wanted to know how hard it will be to work in the business after this.

Thanks

B

<Been there..>

Honestly, depends on the situation and how you responded to it...I also have snapped off the dish of a live truck....felt so bad about it...by the time I got back to the station, I was crying like a little girl. Not because I was afraid to lose my job, but because I had just severly impacted my station (in sweeps no less). I apologized to the producers for limiting their ability to do their job. I think it was my attitude that saved my job. Just recently my Chief took out one of our live trucks. He's still around...so yes, you can still continue in the business after this accident...but makes me wonder why they dumped you so fast? Was this the straw that broke the camels back?

I was still with in my 90 days. Thats the company policy. Sounds dumb but i just plan forgot i was in the truck. I drove a expedition as a news car and the truck was a yukon around the same size. my mind was on somthing else and i drove the mast into a over hang that protects the news cars from the weather. Never met for it to happen and i dont blame any one else but my self.

O

<overhangs>

One of our sports reporters drove the truck under the overhang for the building and took the dish right of the mast. He still kept his job but I don't know what was said to him.

MrZero

Accidents happen. It is all about the attitude and the apology. If you were still within your 90 days, I probably wouldn't mention it on your resume. Nobody is going to wonder about a 2-3 month gap in employment during these times. (I wouldn't *lie* about it, just casually forget it). I would make a big apology to everybody at the old station, maybe even a written one. Just leave on good terms in case somebody asks around. If a prospective employer questions you, tell the truth and make it clear you have learned your lesson. Don't make excuses. Just be glad it was only injured equipment.

Zero

2000lux

I'm sorry to hear your station had such a draconian policy! I smacked the dish in to a not quite open garage door inside of my new guy parole period and was shocked when I was not summarily fired. On top of that I was also (still am really) very green and I know there were people in the station who were not happy that such an inexperienced photog was hired to our top 30 market shop. I figured I was a gonner for sure! I apologised profusely but professionally. The news director said little more than, "Look, you're driving a $250K piece of equipment, you just can't do that!" It got fixed. Life went on. I heard that the chief photog had done pretty much the same thing about a month before I started, so the fact that he wasn't canned probably worked in my favor.

Ever since then of course I put the @%&*! thing in park until that garage door stops squeaking!

Good luck with your job search!

-Brian

M

<Me Too...>

I busted the dish on a live truck the FIRST TIME I ever used one. I was honest and very apologetic. It got fixed. My station was gracious and allowed me to make a rookie mistake. You bet your ass I'm careful now!
It seems like you got less than average slack from your station. :(

Tx

Looks like you got a raw deal, I wonder if your chief backed you up ? I wrecked my news car at one of my stations,and nothing happened. I had the backing of my chief. Life went on. I wouldn`t say anything unless asked. Move on and work somewhere better.Good luck.

Wally Crow/KPRC-TV

M

<Mi3ke>

Looks like you got a raw deal, I wonder if your chief backed you up ? >>>>> Reading the clues, his chief is a reader and poster on this list. I too would like to hear about the policies "across the street", but I doubt it's going to happen. Come on, who hasn't killed a live truck at somepoint in our lives?

Cheers, Mi3ke

C

<Crash>

Don't you guys have a warning indicator in the vehicle that tells you the mast is still up ??

You can't START our truck if the mast is still up...the mast sensor disables the ignition. I would think that should be an integral part of the truck's design.

Murman

I think Crash, and I may be mistaken but I believe this particular case the vehicle's dish was stowed, it just was a case of the driver forgetting the clearences and clipping the dish off.
I don't believe the antenna or mast was deployed.

Shaky & Blue

Originally posted by <Crash>:
Don't you guys have a warning indicator in the vehicle that tells you the mast is still up ??

You can't START our truck if the mast is still up...the mast sensor disables the ignition. I would think that should be an integral part of the truck's design.
The first live truck I ever drove didn't have any interlocks or alarms. In fact, since our receivers had fixed antennae on the towers and couldn't be tuned, some of our photogs would occasionally tune the truck in marginal signal areas by driving it back and forth with the mast extended until they got a hit.

Somehow we managed to never drive off with it extended. You'd be surprised at how many stations still have old trucks like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.