LG boating accident

ken g

Sunday, around 2:30 pm heard the call on the scanner, boat overturned on Lake George, 50 people in the water. It took me about 12 minutes to cover the 2 exits on the interstate, and another 2 minutes to arrive on scene. It was like a homeland security drill, but this was no drill. People in the water, being helped by local residents of the area, people still trapped under the overturned vessel. I rolled for about 5 minitues and then set the camera down to help with the rescue. at this time, there were no other video cams there. The victims were all elderly, and were for the most, traumatised and in shock. I helped unload one boatload of surrviors which included the Captain of the distressed vessel, he has 74 years old and clearly in emotionally bad shape, but he refused to leave the rescue boat, he said,"I'm th captain, theres still people in the water, I'm goin' back out with the rescue boat. This sort of speaks volumes about his integrity. All in all there were 20 beople dead, and several more had to be hospitalized. These folks were on a tour from Michigan, and this boat excursion was to conclude their weeks trip. Not a nice thing!
I probably answeres 25 cell phone calls while on the scene, and when I left I had over 30 messages to answer. I hope I never have to be a part of an event of this stature again. Yesterday, Monday. I was back to the scene with all the major networks, and all the local media to get the raising of the boat, which happened aroun 4:30 pm

tvguide

who aired your video? i've seen boats in the water and bodies on shore, but no actual rescue video.

ken g

other than the local affiliates from Albany, NY CNN< ABC< and CBS all played my video Sunday. Inside Adition had been contacting me for broadcast rights also. CBS 6, Schnectady, NY Time Warner Cable News 9, Albany, NY and FOX 23, ALbany NY were the locals.

ken g

other than the local affiliates from Albany, NY CNN< ABC< and CBS all played my video Sunday. Inside Adition had been contacting me for broadcast rights also. CBS 6, Schnectady, NY Time Warner Cable News 9, Albany, NY and FOX 23, ALbany NY were the locals.

SeagateNews

ken, glad to hear you did the human thing... you saw past the need to shoot in order to help in the rescue, as opposed to some who would have just kept rolling...good job.

ken g

Reply to tv guide:
It would be pretty difficult to shoot the rescue if you were helping in the rescue!!

ken g

Reply to tv guide:
It would be pretty difficult to shoot the rescue if you were helping in the rescue!!

ken g

Reply to tv guide:

ken g

Reply to tv guide: