LED camera light on the cheap

adam

http://www.lowes.com/pd_4209-75774-EXN/HP/LED_?PL=1&productId=3112057

Bought one, mild modification, works like a charm.

I found this bulb, a MR16 type, that fits in Ultra Light's and Frezzi's (although you wouldn't be able to dim it). I have an Ultra Light and had to knock out the little tabs that hold back the standard bulb. The LED version is a bit longer, I'm guessing there might be a resistor or something that adds the length.

It's a 4 watt bulb that is the equivalent to a 35 watt output.

couryhouse

led replacement

what is the color temp. on it? xxxx degrees...????

This is a good deal!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_4209-75774-EXN/HP/LED_?PL=1&productId=3112057

Bought one, mild modification, works like a charm.

I found this bulb, a MR16 type, that fits in Ultra Light's and Frezzi's (although you wouldn't be able to dim it). I have an Ultra Light and had to knock out the little tabs that hold back the standard bulb. The LED version is a bit longer, I'm guessing there might be a resistor or something that adds the length.

It's a 4 watt bulb that is the equivalent to a 35 watt output.

HokiePhotog

I got one at Home Depot. Mine is also 4w, but the one I got did not require me to bend the tabs in my UL2. The color temp is very close to 3200K, my SX rig usually registers it around 2800-3000K.

Also, I would recommend the 10 degree spot instead of the flood... so long as you have a diffuser handy.

NoJobTog

I use an ultralight with a softbox mounted on a stand for quick inside interviews. The softbox diffuses the light a little too much. The brighter LED light sounds like it would be a great solution.

adam

It should be said that I never use my camera light as a key source. So the LED that I got is just a 35 watt equivalent. I'm not sure that you'd get enough juice out of the available selection to reliably use it as a key light. I shoot on SX still and I pretty much just use it as a fill along with ambient light. If I'm out shooting a breaker or just grabbing someone I'll pull in the streetlights or emergency lights as sources and bump up to about 12db gain. I like it to look a bit more natural and have the background fully exposed.
I used a piece of 216 folded over to scrim the light down and it seems to achieve what I'm looking to do just right.