Leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVShooter

My news director told me I'm in line for the Chief Photog's job, but that I need to take a leadership role with the other photographers. I'm all for it, but where do I start? I've only been in the bussiness for a little over a year, and I have absolutely no management experience. Any tips would be greatly helpful.

thru-the-lens

Criticise in PRIVATE. Praise in PUBLIC. Communicate well with others.

No one likes to be called out in front of people. And giving out meaningful praise does alot for morale. These management lessons work in any job enviroment.

As a chief photog, don't hog all the new and best gear. Lead by example. If you will be training new photogs just starting out be patient. Emphasise the basics. Wides medium tights and good framing. Build and grow from there.

Chances are your news director will look to you to make sure that all the gear is taken care of. That things are getting fixed by the engineering staff ect... You'll be the go between with engineering so be prepared to work well with them and stay on top of the gear situations. Keep your news director aware of what is going on. Remember no manager likes to be blindsided when something happens.

You'll also act as a go between for vehicle maintance. Making sure that the OIL Changes happen in a timely manner and that repairs needed are brought to your news directors attention.

Your actual role over budgets will be limited in most markets but you could be asked to order tapes as needed. You should also plan on attempting to have some infuluence on the Captial Budget for the upcoming year. Plan on asking for gear needs and be prepaired to justify the needs and cost items in case they ask.

Capital budgets are your chance to get things that the photogs need...mic stands, light kits, new tripods, light kit bags, run bags, fanny packs, lav mics, reflectors, wireless. If you don't point out the need for them you'll never get them at all. At least put up a fight to get new gear/stuff. Give the engineers and news director a wish list at budget time. Don't expect them to ask for one.

Those are just some of the many leadership roles that as a chief you will have to deal with on a weekly basis. Count on doing this while still going out in the field and shooting every thing you already do. Chances are you will rarely get that office day where all you do is deal with stuff. Expect to come in early and stay late to get things done.

Be aware they may move you from hourly to salry. Make sure that there is a bump in pay that will make up for that loss of OT. Expect calls on weekends for gear, vehicle issues and to cover shifts when someone calls in sick. You may or may not be involved in scheduling too.

And just when you thing you have everything under control... some other issue hits the fan for you to deal with.

thru-the-lens.

Another way to lead is by example. Be a strong shooter. Use what you shoot to teach other photogs. I try to emphasize the point of: I would rather them try something new and exciting and it not work out then to have them turn out an average piece.

I also like to watch them edit. Praise them for good shooting and question them on what may need improvement. At my shop - they know I can shoot. I am still working on having them bring stories for me to look at - but I have seen each one grow as a shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.