KGTV San Diego

The Toplens

Hi Guys and Ladies

I'm thinking of applying for the post as Cheif Photog with KGTV and just wondered if anyone here knows what it's like there, what the people are like and what McGraw Hill are like as employers.

I've decided to move from the BBC in the UK and move to the States and try my luck there. Any help would be great.... and should I get the job there'll be a huge party at my house... everyone's invited!

leftcoastphotog

Hey Toplens, there is a lenghty thread on tvspy.com re: the feelings and moral at kgtv right now. i haven't worked in SD for almost three years but i can give you some insight on the city and what i remember about kgtv. If you are willing im me your phone # and i'll call (dont worry my parents live in London so i have the cheap "call uk" phone plan). I just dont want to type up everything io know.
lcp

Michaelrosenblum

Great station. Great people. Great town. Derek Dalton and Sean Kennedy very easy to work with and very progressive in their outlook. San Diego fantastic town (particularly after UK - weather wise). Just expensive. Check out LaJolla for digs. On the beach and can't be beat.

leftcoastphotog

MR, Do you think that someone can buy or rent in LJ on a photogs (even chief) wages? One thing that I know is SD real estate and if you want to live in LJ expect that your rent would be 1800-2500 for a relatively nice place and your mortgage would be at least 3500 The average price for a place in LJ is ABOVE 700 k and thats even with the market slowdown.
It is a great town and there are alot of options re: on where to live. However, KGTV is going through a lot of changes right now and VJ's are just one of them.
lcp

at the plate

Michaelrosenblum said:
Living in Manhattan, both LJ and SD look pretty good to me.
I hope you're consulting fees are up there because the average home in LJ is 1.6M and the average home in SD County is nearly 600K.

I hope KGTV VJs like ramen noodles & PBJ sandwiches. Remember what it was like living in a college dorm? That's the quality of life that working on the cheap will bring. Maybe stretching out a homestead in the back of a car would be a fitting domicile for an up and comming VJ.

Michaelrosenblum

No one has taken a pay cut to become a VJ. In some stations, they have in fact gotten pay increases. As for the VJs I hire myself, their incomes run the spectrum, all within the parameters that I noted in the salary survey on this board. And as far as the cost of housing in SD is concerned, 1.6m will get you a one bedroom in manhattan, 600k a closet in someone else's.

The Toplens

Thanks for the info guys....

Being a BBC staff cameraman and seeing what has been done over here by Mr Rosenblum I may think a bit harder about applying - no disrespect to you Mr Rosenblum.

Michaelrosenblum

No problem man. We all gotta do what we gotta do. But seriously, the bunch at KGTV are really fine folks and a pleasure to work with. Give it some serious thought.

KGTV in San Diego.

I knew the chief there... nice older guy named Lee Louis. Anybody hear what happened to him? Seems like there's been a LOT of changes in San Diego. I'm a freelancer/semi-retired photog (still shoot some sports), but was staff before at a couple of places in town. Thought Lee would be there forever.... Mr. Rosenblum, are you keeping any of the photogs that were there, or is everyone going VJ?

Michaelrosenblum

I don't run the station, nor do I make staffing decisions so you would have to ask the GM or the new ND. In almost all of the transitions however, to date, every client so far has opted for a 'mixed economy' in which there are both VJs and conventional shooters.

Buck

I posted a thread awhile back asking about the vj changes there. Either the photog don't have internet access or they're afraid to speak. They've been very, very quiet.

shrek

Why VJ's dont speak...

Because they fear for their jobs. Being a VJ is a nightmare. Too much work for one person. The good ones quit. The mediocre ones take their place. This hasn't happend yet at KGTV but it is about to. The newsroom is divided. If you want to know more PM me.