Keeping Track of Inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.

mknisely

I'm working on a system to maintain and track gear to insure proper equipment is available in good working condition; and then ultimately using the system to help provide recommendations for future equipment purchases.

Is there a system or program that anyone is currently using, or has used, that has helped you keep track of not only: the make and model, serial numbers, quantify, condition, but the inventory of the entire unit? How have you implemented it at your station and how is it working?

Currentchief

Could you build something on EXCEL?

If you're not an expert on EXCEL, ask someone in the business department at your station or get a highschool class to take it on as a project.

I need something like that, too.

Good Luck! :D

kfatica

I began keeping separate records for each of my staff members. Getting to a point where I can use Excel or FileMaker will be a bonus. Just finding out what everyone has and what kind of condition it's in is enough of a challenge for now.

I do keep a record of each issued camera's serial number as well as the lens's serial number and to whom it is assigned.

Records are kept for when equipment was last serviced, but those are kept in the ENG shop by the engineers. They've written their own program to keep track of histories.

Good luck!

Kim.
WKYC, Cleveland

mknisely

Kim and everyone, thank you for your piece of mind. Keeping track of all the gear and the little bits is a teadous mission, but one I want to nip in the bud. Getting everything organized is one of the biggest pains right now. I welcome any more insight. Thanks!

Jimmy

Six months ago I did a complete inventory check. I had all the photographers list everything they were assigned. I then came up with my own inventory sheets. "Lights" for instance... Photographer's names on the side with columns for what type of light, stand or whatever. All I do is put a number under the column, in the row assigned to each photographer. I do the same with cameras and tripods, only difference is another column for serial numbers: camera, deck, and lens. Everything over 50 bucks has been inventoried. Lots of stuff! It took over a month to get all the gear inventoried and organized in a simple, but effective system.

Good Luck!

stix

I use Excel to keep track of equipment assigned to each photog as well as serial numbers, vehicle licence and VIN numbers. You can set up worksheets for each shooter. I also use it for scheduling!

MrZero

I use Filemaker Pro to keep track of maintenance records, equipment assigments, etc. Excel has made my scheduling job so easy! And to think, that's supposed to be some sort of accounting program?

Zero

shootcam

Dude: E-mail me and I will send you a copy of an inventory tracking form I have been using. I update every 6 months and when someone leaves. I do the shooters s/n's on every piece that has one, when they are away. I then give them a blank copy of my form and see what I added or missed. It is always best to do your own spot inventory, and ask questions later. Do not be alarmed when the updated versiopn does not match the old one. Believe me, every shop has it's pack rats, liars and thieves...Remember, this is why we do inventories, it keeps people, honest. Regards/Chief..P.S. It is the stations gear and you are not violating any policey, at least at our barn. Managment reserves the right, yah de da da...

Lense_Cap

I have been trying to talk our chief into placing a bar code sticker on everything and assigning a code to each unit number so that every piece of equipment can be kept track of easily. This would also allow for greater ease of adding equipment to a unit by simply placing a sticker on the piece and scanning it with one of those laser guns. Some other benifits to this would be, but would not be limmited to:
1) Detouring photogs from swiping equipment from other units. (it has been known to happen)
2) Easily update equipment status and/or repair forms.
3) Allows any "extra" equipment to be loaned out to freelancers if the station provides them with cameras and such as ours occasionally does.

Buuuuut... no one ever listens to us lowwwwly photogs around here.

thru-the-lens

I am now doing inventory on a quarterly basis. With more accounting for where equipment is and who has it. If they had it, and it no longer is with them then they have to account for where it is.

thru-the-lens.

"Racing is Life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." --Steve McQueen

PhrozenPhoto

I wouldn't think that the barcodes would hold up over time. We have those custom metal stickers that have inventory numbers stamped into them, and even those wear out... granted it takes a long time for them to, but it numbers stuff individually and doesn't involve having to tie in a Laser gun thing. I think with those custom jobbies you could order them however you want, so for all of Unit 1's stuff you could get numbers like 1-001 1-002 and Unit 2 would be 2-001 2-002, could then identify which camera the gear belongs to, as well as your station...

DERF

I have always used equipment lists and keep them updated twice a year. January and June each year I pick a photog at random and check all of their gear. If some of it is at home they have to bring it in the next day or prove that they still have what was assigned to them. My list has: Name, pager #, vehicle type, unit #, VIN #, plate # and cell # at the top. Then there is a four column list consisting of: Equipment, manufacturer, model # and serial #. Under "equipment" you can put whatever you want. All of the obvious stuff is on there but I also list all pieces of the light kit and have a final listing for "Miscellaneous" gear. In other words if it belongs to the station it is listed. The photographer signs it, I sign it and then it goes into their file. It has really keep the equipment swapping down and the raiding of unassigned gear. I found that it is best not to schedule dates and times to check gear since that allows them time to prepare. I also take this time to check out their assigned vehicle.

Hope that helps.

DERF

Status
Not open for further replies.