KCCI Photog shot at by police!

svp

“In this case we had several calls that came in where the officers were of the opinion that there was an active shooter there. Someone who was actually taking shots.

“The officer pulls up. The description of the suspect matches the description of the individual that he sees. He sees an object in this person’s hand, doesn’t know what it is, it’s dark, there’s a distance between the two of them, can’t tell exactly what it is. He sees this object come up. It’s raised up toward him. He feels it’s potentially a weapon, that his life is in danger, and he takes the shot.”
Edwards said, “Any time an officer feels his life is in danger or another person’s life is in danger, they have the ability to protect themselves or a member of the public.”

KCCI thought someone was shooting out windows and called 911.

“A dispatcher asked if anyone had been shot, and a KCCI employee said ‘Not yet,’” Edwards said.

The initial description provided to police was a white male wearing a gray T-shirt and carrying a gun. As officers arrived, cameraman Vaughn was standing on a patio outside KCCI, holding a cell phone. He motioned to officers in an effort to point out Parish’s whereabouts. Vaughn, who is a white male and was wearing a gray T-shirt, matched the suspect’s description.”

Grimes fired a single shot at Vaughn, Edwards said. The shot missed.
This just sounds like an honest mistake.

Here is the link to KCCI's story on this

http://www.kcci.com/video/25388378/detail.html

zac love

Sounds like an honest mistake. Though scary as crap for the one getting shot at.

I'm sure there will be a ton of interviews & investigation into this to see if the officer could have avoided the mistake.

I once got pulled over, didn't see two officers get out, just one walking up on the passenger side. So I leaned over to roll the window down since my car doesn't have power windows. I got a brief lip from the two officers saying an aggressive action like that can look like I'm up to something not good & spur the officer to pull their weapon. I'm guessing the 10 seconds of me rolling the window down clued them to what I was doing.

Glad that no one got hurt.

zac love

I am not sure a 50' shot is mistake. Make that three shots. The cop did not identify his target.

Just my thoughts.
Where do you get 3 shots?

The mistake was he didn't identify his target. The officer should have been more cautious, but it was a tense situation the officer was responding to & then he saw a threatening motion that was directed at him.

I haven't seen an answer to this, but why was the employee outside looking for the shooter? To me, if the is a gunman outside, I'm going to stay inside & let police deal with him.

svp

I haven't seen an answer to this, but why was the employee outside looking for the shooter? To me, if the is a gunman outside, I'm going to stay inside & let police deal with him.
Great point, especially since he didn't have his camera to shoot it.

canuckcam

Mistake or not, the choice to use lethal force is quite disturbing especially for police. Then again, a wife who shot dead her husband thinking he was a bear was found not guilty in Canada. http://morrisonworldnews.com/?p=27265

It's exactly why you don't make any sudden movements... like Zac found out. :) And if you have tinted power windows (added that "power" in there for ya!) lower them all at a traffic stop before the cop approaches. That way, they can clearly see inside the vehicle you're not hiding some guy in the back with a shotgun.

Terry E. Toller

Elk Grove (sacramento market) just had a suspect shot by police. love to see how this one plays out. the suspect was in handcuffs and in the back of a police car then shot in the face by a cop... TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING!!!