JVC 700

jaheeres

Our station is getting new JVC GY-HM700 cameras(tapeless)
Does anyone have any experience with these and have any thoghts on them?
We are also going tapeless using the AVID newscutter(i think)
any tips or tricks on these cameras and editing program?
thanks and and happy shooting all!!

zac love

I worked with the 700 for about a month and I'll start with...
If you can, get your station to move to FCP.

These cameras were built for FCP.

You'll save a LOT of time every day if you move over to FCP.

Seriously, these are the only cameras that the manufacturer went to an NLE & said "how do we make this work as easily as possible with your software." They'll work with Avid, but you'll have some extra steps. These were made for FCP.

Shoulder mount is nice. They're really light, which means you won't get tired, but I realized I use the heavy mass to my advantage to steady shots & get smooth moves, so you might have to relearn how to shoot a little hand held.

The lens is pretty nice, though my only complaint (and a BIG one) is that it can't focus on things close. If you're doing MOS, you'll have to be about 4-5' away from the subject or else they'll be soft. So try to stop down as far as you can to get even greater DOF if you want to get close to your interview subject. (I tried to use the macro to compensate, but it just wasn't realistic.)

They do OK in low light compared to cameras from 10 years ago, but if you've been using some newer 2/3" SD cameras, the 700s will seem very dark.

Most of the switches & toggles are where they are suppose to be. Although I prefer a real ND filter wheel.

Menus are pretty easy to move around in, although like all menus, it can be hard to find some things that you're looking for w/o digging deep in a dozen places.

Overall I think JVC's cameras are cheaply made. The LCD seemed almost half broken off the hinge in a very short about of time. I think I noticed dead pixels, which shouldn't be happening on a camera a few months old.

Lastly, did I mention you should be using FCP?

The Daywood

second to everything Zac said...
If they get the 700UXT model, it comes with an SxS box on the back which allows you to record in Avid/Premiere style codecs (my mind has lost me for a minute) on either an SxS in the box or the SDHC cards in the slots...

Oh and by the way, make sure you get the station to move to Final Cut Pro...

If they get the 700UXT model, it comes with an SxS box on the back which allows you to record in Avid/Premiere style codecs (my mind has lost me for a minute) on either an SxS in the box or the SDHC cards in the slots...
I've been doing some research into the HM700, and I beleive that with a recent firmware update, you can record the same format onto the SDHC cards without the SxS box.

photog7

I have been using the 700 for 2 months now. We 'upgraded' from the gy250. The 700 is much better camera and they have made several improvements such as size of LCD screen, longer carrying handle, much better viewfinder. That being said as mentioned earlier it is not good in lowlight, it canshoot a really good picture with proper lighting which is not always possible in tv news as we know.