Joker lights

Have any of you folks purchased Joker lights for your photographers? If so, what do you think of Joker lights overall? Thanks for any insight.

JimmyS.

Jokers are great, just so darn expensive. I've had a few problems blowing out fuses, too. I'm sure it was the particular model cause it happened at multiple locations. And it always happened at the wrong time. Once they 'warmed' up, they were great.

Colin Kelly

I've been using the Jokers for years. I bought them used (and they were still expensive), so I don't really know how old they are, but I've only had one repair to them, the ballast igniter burned out. The support people were great and prompt.

What I like about the jokers (I've got a 400 and 200), is the versatility. They come with barn doors and different lenses depending on what you'd like to accomplish. I've also got the speed rings for use with Chimera softboxes. Those two lights will cover a wide range of situations for me.

The network guys at Fox News carry the Brons. Not nearly as versatile in my opinion, but they get the job done when the weather goes bad. Working hurricanes, I've lashed a fox bron to a concrete lamp post and it burned bright until the ballast was completely underwater. I was impressed.

Alaska_steadicam

The Jokers are great! highly recommended. The electronic ballast can be run off of battery power, which is very helpful. Be sure to get the bug-a-beam adapter if you go Joker, I don't know about Brons (never used one) but Jokers can be mounted to the back of a source 4. I have seen a 400 provide a kicker light that overpowered overcast ambiance from 20 feet away. Very powerful when fitted to a source4. Just make sure if your ever on generator power, to under-rate the generator by 75%. Electronic ballasts tend to send harmonic frequencies back into the line voltage, which will put additional stress on your neutral.