Jeep Wrangler Unlimited sets World Altitude Record

pre-set

Didn't look like it was all that much fun, but I guess it's like Sir Edmund Hillary said.... "...because it's there".

I prefer doing my fourwheeling on much smaller mountains with rocks that aren't covered with ice, though...

cameradog

There's a full day by day account of the ascent, apparently written by Matthias Jeschke himself, on the XJ Association Message Board. It's a good read and has plenty of pictures. The vehicles are stock except for tires and winches.

This is the old record mark they passed on the way up:

Jeep parking only:

Pretty inhospitable place:

There are plenty more great photos on that site.

pre-set

I went 'wheeling in "Yoo-Ray" once on the way back from Moab. The sign at the top of the pass said something over 12,000+ feet - I can't remember the exact number, but it was the highest point I've ever been in low-range 4wd, before or since. The strange part was the drastic decrease in engine compression braking and loss of low end torque. I can't remember ever stalling my Jeep so many times as on that trail. I couldn't imagine being another 9,000 feet higher....

Considering the new V6 in the JK has so much less guts than the old I6, I'd hope they were running auto trannys... Still very impressive, though.

Foxwood

Agreed. The inline 6 is still a thing of wonder. I've owned 3 Jeeps over the years, the first being a 1973 Cherokee with a 400ci. Start it up and the warm air was blowing. Rusty as hell though. I remember salt from the road hitting the back of my head as it came up through the long-gone wheel wells. I later replaced the rear gate with a piece of plywood. Still wouldn't stop it though. Makes me laugh looking back at it now.

Had a 1984 with the crap Buick engine. Then a new 1992/I6 that had over 194,000 miles on it when I finally got rid of it. Probably still going somewhere.

cameradog

I have a 2000 XJ Cherokee with the big straight six in it. I bought it after reading that Chrysler (at the time) had planned to discontinue the Cherokee after 2000 in favor of the smaller Jeepster (which never actually materialized), and I was afraid that if I didn't get one then that nothing else would come along for a while that was as tough AND practical. I wasn't particularly keen on the idea of new Chrysler-designed Jeep after the problems with the Grand Cherokee.

I haven't modified it at all and don't do any serious off-roading, but I still love my Jeep. It's the most sure-footed vehicle I've driven. It's nice to be able to actually drive in snow and pass the other SUVs that are stuck. Seven years and 81,000 miles later I've only had two problems with it, both recent: both of the 5" door speakers from the factory stereo went buzzy and then died; and the crank position sensor died 500 miles ago, apparently a common problem with these cars.

I figure I'll drive it until it dies. Then I'll probably tear it apart and rebuilt it, then drive it until it dies again. I could see myself owning this truck for another 15 years, despite rising oil prices.

pre-set

Yeah, the CPS failing is pretty common, esp. in AW4 automatics. Good thing is, it's a relativley easy fix. NSS switch on your shifter might crap out soon too.

Enjoy your XJ, though. There'll never been another vehcile quite like that, though. Combination of simplicity, durabiltiy, incredible engine, solid axles front and rear, real Tcase, and relative affordability... All good reasons to stop making them, right? <sarcasm>....

The 4dr JK is an interesting "evolution" into what an XJ might have become, and they're selling so fast they can't keep 'em on the lots...