Jazz Man

photoguy603

I struggled with this one a bit. We had it all cut and had to trim it down. But my editor is not very forgiving when merging, or cutting up audio tracks. The keyframing is unreliable and not really smooth, neither are the fades, if you try it it always seems like a harsh cut to me, no matter how much you try to get it just right.

I laid my audio first in one track and popped the nats where needed. Like I said before we had to cut for time, it was pretty smooth. Let me know what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IqBmubLZR4

Latin Lens

Struggled is a good word...this piece is rather "Blah" but of course it had potential had it been set up right. First off there were a few bad edits...jumpcuts, etc. I pay attention to detail so I saw no lips moving but heard singing from the nats and that bothered me alot (around :43 seconds)...huge NO-NOs on all that!!! You're way better than that so a bit of a regression there. Weird slo-mo shot at 1:00??? Whats up with that? Weird. Maybe you weren't into this piece because it kinda showed but it wasn't very diverse at all...very blah all around. Considering that I expect a lot more from you this really wasn't all that great but use it as a learning tool to help get back on track.

photoguy603

Hey man thanks for the response. I didn't know how to feel about this one honestly. I appreciate the rough critique on it. thanks!

Necktie Boy

Late to the game....

But I do agree with Latinlens that this missed the mark. The footage in the church didn't add anything to the story line. There was no punch. I was looking for the magic. Nada.

Maybe if you had footage of him performing with the church on a Sunday morning....Then surprises the viewer that he was a full out jazz player. The blindness factor wasn't required.

I should ask what was the main idea behind the story that made you go out and shoot it?

photoguy603

What made us do it is that there is a big 10 day Jazzfest in the area so they go all out covering as much as possible. This story wasn't my pitch it was just assigned to me so I worked with what I was given.

I don't work weekends and we only have one shooter that does at my shop (its a bureau type thing) and its doubtful that OT would be approved for such a thing. I appreciate the feedback on this though. I try to take in as much as I can.