Insurance

FeedingFrenzy

I'm shopping around for insurance. Currently carry liability, with an E&O policy and loss of gear/rental clause. Just curious as to what else may be out there and recommended by fellow Photogs. Already did the Google search to compare policies. I'm looking for those of us who have actually had to deal with their company for a loss or such. Would you keep your company based on your experience? Why?
thanks

Tv Shooter

Unless you are doing full productions, you don't need E&O. You can buy E&O on a per production basis from several companies.

I am with CNA and had to file a claim this past year. They paid full replacement cost of the gear that was lost, and paid quickly. They did raise my rates somewhat, but that was to be expected.

Capt. Slo-mo

I use The Hanover Company for an inland marine gear and rental coverage policy, and carry a separate commercial liability policy as well. I've never had a loss, so no feedback on how well they perform.

But remember, an insurance company makes money by maximizing premiums and minimizing payouts.

x2 on the E&O. I wouldn't waste your money on that unless it is a requirement of a job contract, like sending a turn-key series to a network.

Run&Gun

I've recommended Buell Insurance in IL many times on this board. I've been with Brad since day one. I had to make a rather large claim back in '06 and didn't have any problems. It's a replacement cost policy with (I can't remember which off the top of my head right now) a one or two million dollar liability/E&O. The actual policy is through Liberty Mutual, now. I just renewed a few weeks ago and it was $1799.

Starman

I used to have Buell and now I have CNA, they are both good companies, I like CNA a little more though. Luckily, no claims, and I plan on keeping it that way!

Flaca Productions

Heffernan
Insuremyequipment.com
i've been with them quite a while and am very happy. had a couple claims - one $16k with no issues.

Tv Shooter

I've recommended Buell Insurance in IL many times on this board. I've been with Brad since day one. I had to make a rather large claim back in '06 and didn't have any problems. It's a replacement cost policy with (I can't remember which off the top of my head right now) a one or two million dollar liability/E&O. The actual policy is through Liberty Mutual, now. I just renewed a few weeks ago and it was $1799.
Your policy isn't sold anymore, you are grandfathered in, and it was not available in all states. Odd that about 2006 is when they stopped offering that policy.

Brad told me you have the best deal of any of his clients (Buell is my agent as well, CNA is the insurance company). Everytime you post your rate, he gets calls….lol.

Run&Gun

Your policy isn't sold anymore, you are grandfathered in, and it was not available in all states. Odd that about 2006 is when they stopped offering that policy.

Brad told me you have the best deal of any of his clients (Buell is my agent as well, CNA is the insurance company). Everytime you post your rate, he gets calls….lol.
Very odd indeed… ;) (For those that may not know, I had a major theft in '06. I lost almost everything except my camera.)

I'm glad I can give him some traffic, even if he can't give them the same deal. Maybe I should get a commission… :cool:

I did not know that my policy was no longer available. At least they haven't tried to force me off of it by jacking the rates like a health ins co would do. I had a crazy health insurance policy(no cap, 100% coverage w/$500 deductible) for many years, then they got rid of it(for obvious reasons). I was grandfathered and hung on to it until the monthly premium just became too ridiculous.

Bump.... looking to pick up insurance. Im a one man stringer.... ideas? Starting to get more coverage and looking to have the insurance just for the "what-ifs"