Ideas about doing documents

phxtvwatcher

I work in our Consumer/Investigative unit at my television station and use a ton of documents and quotes from documents. I've kind of run out of new ideas to make them interesting. Does anyone have any ideas? And if you do, if you have a video clip or picture to show that would be great. I watch a lot of 60 minutes and other shows to get ideas but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Thanks

satpimp

use in camera production

We are more and more obliged as an industry to use the bells and whistles of computer generated effects. While spectacular the contrast of seeing "production" as opposed to "generated effects can be striking. Try elevating the documents to cast a shadow. Elevate them on a vase or glass. Add focused light on the glass so the light and shadow beneath the platform can project on a wall or curtain along with the shadow from the platform. Add water for effect, colored water for more effect. Cast shadow above or below the platform...on or off the document. Use or make a cookie with appropriate, significant symbols in light or shadow to cast about. Example: health care piece?... use a cadascius (sp) figurine or cookie. Corruption piece?... use a justice statue (blinfolded woman holding scales) to cast a shadow. Use a pilar instead of a platform. A clear clipboard, plate glass. Put a logo or letterhead on the background used the shadow you create to illuminate or obscure/blot out the logo, company name or even projected image of a company or person. A white psych wall can be 24 inches or 24 feet. Make a friend in the Art department. They may have a table top camera pedestal that could be sued. Old school production now shows in more relief because we are so digital.

phxtvwatcher

Thanks for the input. Shooting documents doesn't seem to be an issue with me it's doing fonts over background that I'm running out of ideas with. i liked the one in Jim's story when the documents flew on from the side. I'll try that some time but I really need some suggestions for fonts over background. What I'm talking about is pulling text out of a document or quoting parts from statements and such. I don't have an art background so thinking in that way comes a little slow for me. As always, thanks for your ideas.

One technique i use is plexiglass in front of the lense. Print a short quote in a larger font and tear the edges. Then tape it to plexiglass and macro on it. It has to be just far enough away from the lense so you can get some light on it. Then in the background you can put the original document with a gel on it. Only work with short quotes.

phxtvwatcher

I'm not looking for shooting techniques. I'm looking for post production FCP ideas like these shown below.

As always, Thanks in advance.

I seemed to get stuck on the stories that always had a ton of documents and little video so I used the effect in FCP to try to jazz it up a bit so that it was more watchable than just a slideshow of documents. I would have the graphics department scan the documents so I could get them at a much higher resolution which made it easy to pull up words or sentences. I also got a generic "white torn out paper" graphic that I could overlay a cropped section of the document over so that it would look torn out.

There's also the page turn effect that can make the documents look like they're being turned over as they fly in. One thing I've done is have the document small and kind of angled, maybe blurred and drop shadowed a bit. If there are several pages, have them kind of splayed out. Then have quotes from the document zoom up from 0 to a size that is readable, then go to a slow zoom in.

I've also done an effect where the document is up nearly full screen and readable for the part of the track that goes something like "we obtained these documents from blah blah blah" then have it shrink down and slide to the side while putting quotes from the documents on the other side of the screen.

If you've got the time and the creativity, the sky's the limit in FCP. One of the best features is the copy and past attributes feature.

phxtvwatcher

Thanks for the ideas. I like the document to the side and the fonts on the other side. I'll try that sometime. Maybe I'm over thinking this but I'm just bored doing the same half dozen things over and over.

grinner

I like to scan em in big then cut out the line(s) that I want to highlight. I'll then animate a brightness change and a blur on the rest of the doc while scaling the quote up a bit.