How to take credit.

zac love

Quick question...

When putting together a demo tape, how do you take credit for a package which has footage from other photogs?

When I shoot & edit something all by myself it it easy. But when the story is better off by mixing footage from more than one photog, I think that it is more important to do a better story than taking all the credit myself.

Case in point: I was at the RNC & DNC this year. We had 1 reporter, 1 editor & 3 photogs for each convention. I still consider myself a young shooter, so I feel honored be able to cover both conventions, but the finished packages all have footage from myself & other photogs, PLUS the feeds from the convention. I'd like to add some of the packs to my reel, but I don't want to take credit for shots that aren't mine.

Lensmith

Just me, trying to give an honest answer...

I wouldn't put any story on my demo tape that wasn't completely shot by me. It just makes it easier on the person who is looking to hire.

No doubts in the back of their head as they look at your work.
Always wondering "...did he shoot this or did someone else?" It's just not a positive.

To be able to send a reel that is work all done by you...is a positive.

David R. Busse

Quick question...
I still consider myself a young shooter, so I feel honored be able to cover both conventions, but the finished packages all have footage from myself & other photogs, PLUS the feeds from the convention. I'd like to add some of the packs to my reel, but I don't want to take credit for shots that aren't mine.
Your demo reel is a demonstration of your versatility and skill as a news photographer.

It is not an attempt to wow a potential employer with the fact that you've been to political conventions, the Worlds Series, Super Bowl or whatever. That will not get you hired. We've all been there and done that...it might impress people at a cocktail party and that's about it.

Your skills may well be demonstrated by some rather mundane stuff shot right in your own back yard. In fact, with travel budgets slashed recently, your willingness to splash far-flung travels may send a different message than you really want to send. Show them you can shoot, edit, light, tell a good story, think on your feet and hustle.

I'm with Lensmith. There are so many horror stories in this biz about people "borrowing" material for their tape, that I wouldn't even risk getting into that quagmire. Send only material that was 100-percent yours.

JoeyO38

I'm no expert on this, but you have to put your best stuff on there. I am hoping that DNC and RNC will not be your BEST. I would consider putting stuff that will make you stand out from everyone else. When putting your tape together, making it memorable should be one of your top goals.

Baltimore Shooter

Zac,
The clips you describe w/ multiple photog's work, is there about 1 minute's worth of video that is only your's and no one else's? If so, then that's probably all you need. You probably only need about 5 clips that are about 1min in length. As always, your best stuff first. If they don't like your work within the first 10 seconds, they're not going to watch further.

warren

rocky1138

Thanks everyone for the responses, they have been helpful. Just to stir the pot some more...

I usually start out w/ a nat-pack which hasn't gotten within 10' of anyone else's hands to show what I can do all on my own.

But isn't news mostly a team effort? Shouldn't there be something about being able to play well with others? Or is a demo / resume only all about me, me, me?

cameradog

When putting together a demo tape, how do you take credit for a package which has footage from other photogs?
Easy. Just add an audio track to your tape in which you narrate which shots are yours, like so: "Not mine, not mine, MINE! MINE! Not mine, MINE! Not mine, not mine, not mine, MINE! MINE!"

But isn't news mostly a team effort? Shouldn't there be something about being able to play well with others? Or is a demo / resume only all about me, me, me?
News is a team effort. Your resume is NOT a team effort. It IS about you, you, you, because you're the one trying to get a job. You're trying to sell your skills and experience, not those of the other photogs in your shop.

Including material from other people on your tape doesn't tell anybody anything about your ability to work with others. I could edit a package from ten different sources off the feeds, shot by people I've never met. How would that say anything about my ability to work with a team?

Latin Lens

This is what a RESUME and INTERVIEW are for....

Thanks everyone for the responses, they have been helpful. Just to stir the pot some more...

I usually start out w/ a nat-pack which hasn't gotten within 10' of anyone else's hands to show what I can do all on my own.

Your reel should consist of YOUR work....your best stuff and its okay to brag on your resume about major events you have covered in part of a team effort....thats great and a chief who regards this trait as a invaluable one will appreciate it that and if you get a interview....he/she will probably ask about it and you can divulge details there.

Lost in Alaska

Your resume tape is a team effort, between you and the reporter you were working with that day. The teamwork will show if the track, nats, video and soundbites compliment each other.

Cletus918

I don't think it's really a matter of impressing someone that you were at the DNC and RNC. I do, however, think that can help demonstrate that you can handle the big stories. I, myself, have had an opportunity to shoot the RNC last summer, the I-35W bridge collapse, the flooding in Minnesota in 07, Flooding in Iowa in 08... I think it's good resume stuff, but you have to have some more substance to go with it.

And I also agree. If I didn't shoot it 100%, don't use it.

cameradog

I don't think it's really a matter of impressing someone that you were at the DNC and RNC. I do, however, think that can help demonstrate that you can handle the big stories.
What's to handle? You show up and there's stuff all around to shoot, because it's designed that way. With all that going on around you, you'd have to be completely incompetent not to come out with something airable. And what you get is going to look almost exactly like what everybody else got.

"Big stories" manufactured specifically for television coverage don't lend any weight to your tape.

JoeyO38

"Big stories" manufactured specifically for television coverage don't lend any weight to your tape.
It probably is not resume tape material, but as someone said above, it might be worth bringing up in an interview or briefly mentioning in a coverletter.

zac love

so I've been playing a little devil's advocate here, but it helps me think more than preaching to the choir...

What's to handle? You show up and there's stuff all around to shoot, because it's designed that way. With all that going on around you, you'd have to be completely incompetent not to come out with something airable. And what you get is going to look almost exactly like what everybody else got.
I think the biggest thing to handle is working well over 160 hours in 14 days. I know other photogs that couldn't handle doing a 5pm live, shoot & edit a pack & be live at 10pm.

the higher up in the DMAs I get, the fewer stories I do 100% on my own. it seems like everyone here agrees that the reel should only be shots you shot. heaven forbid a full screen gfx makes it into a package, or double boxes w/ an anchor in the studio appears as part of a live shot, right? ;-)