how to do everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

boca

i am in a small market and im the chief photog...
my ? is how do i take care of everyone plus do my regular photog stuff that i have on a daly basis..vo/sot&live @5 and pkg&live @6...by the time i get back to the station it's time to go home ...and then we have broken cameras,cars,new shooters,you get the point .....any advice would be great thanks

Foxwood

You have to start with setting your own schedule. Tell the desk/ND you need to be unavailable at times because you have to do scheduling, training, car stuff, gear stuff, etc. Let them know plenty of time in advance so there are no suprises on anyones part. Those duties are an important function of your position, and you need time to do them.

boca

i have done that plenty of times but i guess theres always that QUICK vo/sot that i have to get before i do other stuff that i have to do....i guess i want to do all the other stuff also but then i'm labeled as a SLACKER for trying to do other stuff that is not shooting...
but then something goes wrong and "it's my fault"

Imachief

So who's labeling you a "slacker"? My response has always been something like..."well, if you want me to do this other stuff, then don't say a word when the stuff I was supposed to do can't get done."

Seriously, sounds like it's time for a sit down w/ the ND. You have to make it clear, you cannot be all things to all people all the time. You're the chief,supposedly a member of the management team. You have to tell them you need time to manage. If they don't give it to you, when things go wrong, make it known you cannot be blamed for it because you were out shooting/editing/running a livetruck, not managing your staff.

You've also got to delegate. Make your staff responsible to some of the little stuff you need to do but can't find time for.

Bottom line: Stop thinking you have to be "Superman". Do what you can, when you can. If your managers aren't going to be supportive; then you have a decision to make. If I can be help, then PM me & we'll talk more in-depth.

Good Luck!

tonyfalcone

Yes, you have to let your people know that you can only be in one place at one time. If you neglect the product your photogs put on air and do not get to the equipment issues then you are setting yourself up for failure.

Beg, plead or steal to get the work done that you need done. Maybe you can swing a deal with the desk to give you an afternoon or even a day every now and then.

SmlMktChief

I have also tried to get a day to do my "chief duies" with no luck. I have learned to assign some of the minor things to an "assistant chief". As far as the major things, I have, over time, gotten more time each day to get things done. Try to do only a few things a day...don't try to do it all in one day. Keep working with the ND and the assignment desk eventually you will get what you want. Good Luck.

Lensmith

It may sound obvious but start making to-do lists.

Don't try and just remember things. Organize, organize, organize.

Delegating responsibilities, as you've done, is a good start but you still need to check the delegated job when it's done. In the end, it's your responsibility.

Getting a full day for chief duties is nice to try for, you might even be able to do it for a couple of three weeks. Then there'll be some live shot or other that needs your extra hands.

Aim for starting off your morning getting as much done as you can. The later you wait the less likely you'll have time available.

Make the lists. Do what you can first thing in the door each morning. You'll be surprised how much more efficient you can be if you write things down.

Good luck.

I forgot to add...ignore the slacker stuff. No matter what you do there will always be someone, not always a photog, who's going to take a cheap shot.

Cheap shots are easy and always around.

No one succeeds listening and responding to that useless talk. Listening to it also gets in the way of you focusing on what's important.

There is no utopia.

There is no place where everyone always likes you or how you do your job all the time.

No chief photog ever gets everything completely done. ;)

[ March 14, 2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Lensmith ]

Dirge

Just remember that people come first. When you’re faced with two problems: a “people” problem and a “thing” problem, it’s natural to solve the thing problem first because it’s easy. People problems are hard. Their problem is important to them and they want you to think it’s important too.

Take care of the people problem first. And I mean right away, no matter how busy you are, just stop what you’re doing and LISTEN to them. Lots of time you can solve the problem right away. If not, tell them you get on it soon—AND MEAN IT. If you had a problem, isn’t that what you would want to happen?

They’ll happily be on their way and you can say, “Oh could you cut this vo for me, I’m really crunching. (or whatever your thing problem is)” I’ll bet that they’ll do it. People like helping other people, especially if they think you’re helping them.

You’ll be surprised how well that works,

Dirge

P.S. If your “people” problem is between two people, get both sides first before making any promises or accusations. Usually it’s just a miscommunication.

Cambot Mk. II

My problem is that I have responsibilities but little authority.

Technically, I am a supervisor and not a manager. I have no scheduling duties and no power to hire/fire, but I am responsible for the gear, vehicles and training. Fortunately, I have a great staff. Without their help my job would be much more difficult.

Lensmith is right on the money. The key is organization. I have made it clear to the staff here that I need things in writing. If something does not get fixed, they know they can go back and say, "here it is in your file."

As much as anything, your role is to be the intermediary between the other photographers and management. You are their advocate. Listen and be responsive to their needs. That doesn't mean you have to agree with them on every little thing, but let them know you take their concerns seriously. If they know you'll go to bat for them, they'll back you up more often than not.

It's a lot easier to delegate those tasks that need doing when they know you're working for them and not just piling on more work.

El Guapo

This may not be realistic at your station...but after facing a simmilar situation at my station, i scheduled myself an "administration" day once a week. I picked my most heavily staffed day for it, and it's understood by the EP and the Assign Desk that i'm out of the rotation that day...i.e. available for emergency breaking news only. It's made my life much easier.

Julio

I can relate to your problems, I recently became the Chief at this shop and had an entire staff to replace. Have no money to hire experianced people so I have hired 1 rookie and need 2 more. I needed to fix alot of things around here and train this entire staff, but these guys are right, make a list...take one step at a time...and try not to pull to much of your hair out in the prosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.