How many times does your producer specifically request Kino Flos?

Starman

How many times per year does a producer specifically ask for Kino Flos? How many times do you rent something before you decide to buy it?

Got requests for Diva lights twice last year, currently in my light kit, I have, full tungsten kit, 2 1x1 litepanels, 200w HMI, gets me by for most ENG work, if it's a bigger commercial/corporate shoot, I rent as need sometimes a grip truck with that.

Just wanted to get an opinion here and wondering how popular they will be in 2014 and if producers will be asking for them. Just afraid that I will end up renting a bunch, then finally decide to buy them, then something better comes along and becomes popular.

The same goes with cameras, currently own an HDX900, HPX370 and 5D, renting a Canon C300 or others as needed. I had a total of 3 times last year I rented a C300, 4 days with a PMW350, and 1 day with a Sony F55. All other days of the year I used my P2, HDX900 or Canon 5D. Afraid to buy Canon C300 because thinking something better is about to come out.

Run&Gun

Can't recall a producer ever specifically requesting a specific light brand and model. Maybe sorta generically like LitePanel for LED's, the way people say Kleenex for tissue, but I don't think I've ever been specifically asked for Kino's. Really, that should be my call based on what I think is best for the shoot. I've actually started to get away from using Kino's(fluorescents) for my sit-down(24P feature) interviews. I used one of my Diva's lamped to daylight last week to augment the existing natural light for some interviews, but that was probably the first time in months(maybe the 3rd time this year, really) that I didn't use tungsten or an HMI.

Now specific camera requests, that's a different story…

And there is supposed to be an update to the C300 coming in 2015. Supposedly shoulder mounted...

Robin

What lights are you using for your interviews now,instead of the Diva.. I still usually use Diva 400 through a diffusion frame for interviews.. esp if Im competing with a lot of ambient light.. I find the LED,s.. I have 2 X Arri Locaster don't have enough power through any diffusion.. in a dark room they are ok..I preferred the light quality to lit panels.. purely personal thing..

Starman.. I definitely wouldn't buy the C300.. Canon although first in have fallen behind now.. although yes something new from Canon is rumored .. and they need it quickly..the C500 didnt sell well.. and I wouldn't buy a new camera now that didnt have internal 4K recording.. if you need one fast F5 or FS7 are the best bang for the buck.. or wait to see what Canon come up with.. but if its kettle cam ergonomics again.. I,d buy a Sony