How many of you use wireless hops and matte boxes?

Starman

Just wondering,

A couple of things that I se popping up on a lot of kits as extras, for example on the NBC freelancers ratebook, are matte boxes, wireless hops, etc.

How many of you use those. I hardly ever use a matte box, most of that is done in post. Sometimes I put it in when I do a lot of exteriors just to use a polarizer. Other than that, I hardly use any of the other filters.

What about wireless hops? I really like the Lectrosonics, but they are expensive. What I did before is use a couple of Sennheiser G3's with the plug on transmitters on my 664 end, with the two recievers mounted on the HDX900, that worked pretty well. I have looked at the Zaxcom and they are nice, but seem to cost more than an SRb system.

Run&Gun

I rarely use filtration beyond a polarizer outside. That being said, I mainly use my MB's for light control. I have an older Vocas clip-on that lives on the road. It's not wide enough to work with our W/A's in HD/16:9 but we only use it on LS's or stand-ups, so it doesn't matter. I also have a very nice(and $$$) Arri that is 5.65x5.65 and I can use it with my W/A full wide(but JUST barely). The funny thing about it is, it's the only one I have that will work with my W/A, but it's mostly used on sit-downs. Besides the top flag, I have the side flags for it, as well. They do come in handy sometimes.

As far as wireless hops, I have one. I actually have two Rx's for it, so I can feed two cams from the same bag. I run Lectro SR and SRb. If I am shooting with an audio guy and it's anything but a sit-down/LS then I'm probably wireless. I HATE being cabled to someone when I'm shooting off-the-shoulder. There are a lot of situations(like on the field after an NFL game) where it's not just inconvenient, but dangerous, as well. I do the hop for my convenience, not because I've been asked for it. I don't think it's on the gear list for ESPN. But I usually provide way more than what is asked for on gear lists anyway, again, for my convenience and to allow me to do my job better and provide a better end product.

On a side note, one of the things they did add to the gear list was an EZ-Up tent. We've always brought one when there was the possibility of bad weather(they're nice on hot sunny days, too). If you want to endear yourself to talent 'quick, fast and in a hurry', have a tent for them to work under when it's raining.

Starman

I like the EZ up idea. For now not buying the wireless hops, but if I need, will use a lectro or sennheiser if in a pinch or if I really need SRb I will rent, won't buy one unless a client asks for it on a regular basis. I have a clip on mattebox as well, and I have the same issue with wide angle lenses.

The EZ-Up is a good idea.

Cameradude

I use the Lectrosonics dual as a wireless hop in situations where I am on the move. Great for reality style shooting. I never use it for sit down situations.

As for a matte box, yes I use one, but like R&G said, its mainly to flag off light in sit down / live shot situations.