How is it going out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameragod

I was not going to be working today. I’m just at the end of a 25 day string of work with another 15 looming and promised my wife to take the day off to get done all the stuff around the house I keep saying I’ll do. But the phone just went and now I’ve got a new client begging me to come shoot a commercial as their other DOP double booked and has pulled out at the last moment. It’s insane out there. Long may it last.

Baltimore Shooter

Been busy in the DC/Baltimore area for the first quarter, slowed down a little, looks like it's about to pick back up again pretty soon.

Warren

Todio

Hey, I wouldn't wish my year on my worst enemy! I've had three huge gigs fall through on me.

One was a DOC that was to go around the world (New Guinea, S. Africa, Mexico, USA). 30 shooting days. Shooter thought he had the choice of soundmen and asked me if he got it would I be interested, I said 'yes'. He got the gig and called me. The next day he said I should probably talk to the producer as there was a 'problem'. She interviewed me, thanked me and told me that she was going to go with another guy anyway. Seems the shooter got his wires crossed and thought he had the choice when the producer had already hired another.

Producer wins, Other sound guy wins, I lose.

The second was a lifestyle-design show, 56 shooting days. They had problems with the soundman they had getting across the border into the USA. They called me up and offered me the job. They even went so far as to get my paperwork and passport info and equipment list for carnet etc. Two days before we were scheduled to go they call and say "Oh, we worked it out with the other guy."

The third was the series I had lined up for the summer. Easy gig Every Wednesday and weekends off. 33 shoot days. All along they've been saying "Yes, we're a 'go'. Yes, you have the gig. (I did it last year)' A week before we are due to go to picture the Production Manager (a new one) calls me and asks if I can come down. I think "Great, now's the time to sign the deal memo." When I get there she closes the door and says "Your services are no longer required." Needless to say, I'm stunned and ask why. Quality of my work? Nope, it was just fine. Attitude? Nope, she says that the staff all thought I was a swell guy. Rate? Nope, the rate wasn't an issue. In fact, it wasn't just me. They let everyone below the line go and hired completely new crew. Shooters, lighting , sound, Camera assistant, PAs, EVERYONE. This was a team that worked their butts off last year to pull this show from thin air for these guys. The only thing we can figure is that she was new so she got rid of the old team and hired all her friends.

Add it up, that's 119 shoot days lost since late October.

Add that to the hockey lockout and I've probably lost another 20 days

Since then I've only been able to pick up crumbs. One day a week, sometimes none. It's like everyone's forgotten about me.

I've spoken to other shooters and they say that everything's been tight in our area lately. One is doing home renovations now. Not shooting it, swinging a hammer.

Everyone goes through a dry spell once in a while but this one has been particularly hard so Steven, Tom and Warren get on your knees and thank God that you have the problem of having to say 'no' to a client to get a day off. I'll trade places with ya anyday!

freedom

Todio
I'm in your situation. My market is pretty dead.
About 1 day per week and many are doing less.

Birdy

My first quarter was almost completely DEAD. But I just came off of two good gigs, and waiting (& praying) for confirmation on an upcoming 6-week shoot. In the meantime, I'll be doing some self-marketing today with the hopes of filling in the gaps. I also have a few graphic design clients (I started in advertising), and for some reason that has also seemed to take off in the past few weeks. Best of luck to all b-roll freelancers.

Todio

==UPDATE==

I posted the last at 7:13 am on April 21st. At 11 I got a call from a PM panicking that her soundman hadn't shown up at a gig and they couldn't contact him. Could I come? I grabbed my gear and sprinted to the hospital to shoot a cochlear implant procedure. They were delighted that I pulled their bacon out of the fire and I'm hoping this leads to more gigs (and I'll bet that unless the other guy has a darn good excuse they won't be calling him again)

On Friday I was doing a scheduled studio gig and the phone started ringing. I booked 15 days with four clients in the space of a couple of hours!

To say a weight had been lifted off my shoulders is an understatement!

I don't know who's happier; me, my wife or our creditors!

Mike

January was painfully slow for me, but I've been cranking since. The end of February and March were abnormally busy--it more than made up for January. April has been steady and good.

I wish you all well.

~Mike

Birdy

Congratulations Todio! Feast or famine seems to be the nature of freelancing. Glad you're feasting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.