How Effective?

2 Hungry Dogs

Very,

More and more people are requiring an online reel. If you are job searching I would probably do both, but I free-lance and haven't sent out a hard copy of my reel in years.

Tv Shooter

Joel,
I haven't sent a copy out in years either, but lately been getting requests to see one online. Yet the majority of my new work, they don't look or ask, they ask for credits and references. You get the same thing?

Coming to NAB?

BTW_I'm at 7 dogs right now...:)

JTFCM

I'm ok with either a hard copy or an online reel. I kind of like the online reels better, but it's no big deal. I only ask that you check your links and make sure they work.

Also, make sure you don't have any personal videos that can be linked to your reel. I don't want to see you ghost-riding on cars, putting 9v's in the microwave, your lightsaber training video, or worse.

zac love

From my experience all of my bosses hated looking to fill a position. Looking at resumes & tapes was a chore. So the best bet is to make it as easy as possible for them to view your work.

If possible, find out what the station uses. If they're still shooting BetaSP, but your reel on a 10min BetaSP tape. That way when someone opens up your box they can watch your tape in any one of the edit booths, control room, etc.

If they still use VHS, send the demo on that too. If you want to look cutting edge, put you reel on a USB flash drive. If you know they use Final Cut, export the reel to .mov files.

Please let me know if anyone thinks that it is too ambitious, but I think sending in multiple copies of the same thing on different media should only make things easier for your work to get viewed.

Though tape is all but dead, I always used to only use 10min VHS or Beta Tapes for two reasons. 1. The ND / Chief can just look at the tape & know that I didn't plan on wasting 30min - 2 hours of their time. 2. If they need a spare tape to record Survivor at home, they can't record over my 2 hr VHS tape, so hopefully they record over the next guy's reel.