Hi8 breakage

MikeW

Back in the day, I shot with a Sony V-5000, the coolest camera I ever owned. Lately, I have been going through some of my old show. Problem is my Hi8 tapes seem to be getting fragile. Two tapes snapped already. The two ends are inside the cassette.

Has this happened to anyone here? Is there anything I can to keep it from happening again? What do you recommend as a repair?

Necktie Boy

I may be off base, but it sounds the reels are getting sticky, not able to turn? If these are very important tapes to you, I would bite the bullet and manually rewind or fast forward by hand. Lift the dust cover so that the reels can turn. Use like a flathead screw driver to turn the reels. It will take some time, but it may loosen the reels enough for one pass to move them to another media.

I have fixed a few VHS tapes for a few friends, but they broke near the ends. One tape, the reels got jammed. Move the tape into another shell.

I do remember that camera. It had some sweet features. The pop out mic on the side of the camera.

Run&Gun

Or send them to a professional service that specializes. Won't be cheap, but better than losing the footage forever.

couryhouse

Making a v-5000 work again or-- the curse of the capacitors and how to fix...

Many Sony Cameras of this era had
problem with bad capacitors...

I have a couple of 2 ccd ED-BETA cameras ( ED BETA is Beta SP carts run at Betamax speed... really a fun camera and has interchangeable lenses like a BVP5 or 7 and had the advantage of recording for a hour on a tape.

Anyway I digress.... this camera as the V-5000 generally needs help and you can check this fellows website for rebuild info.

Ed# SMECC Museum Project -

https://schmatzler.de/en/2011/09/28/sony-ccd-v5000e-schulterkamera-reparatur/

Back in the day, I shot with a Sony V-5000, the coolest camera I ever owned. Lately, I have been going through some of my old show. Problem is my Hi8 tapes seem to be getting fragile. Two tapes snapped already. The two ends are inside the cassette.

Has this happened to anyone here? Is there anything I can to keep it from happening again? What do you recommend as a repair?

BluesCam

I used to have a V-5000. Very cool camcorder. I had an EVO-9700 editing deck and a Panasonic Video Mixer MJ MX12, too. If I had a tape that broke (which was extremely rare) I used audio splicing tape to reconnect it. I suppose you could use cellophane tape in a pinch. I must have a 100 tapes in boxes, somehow I can't t seem to toss them. :>)