Help Avid import SD avi files from Sony EX1-R

3.14rates

I apologize in advance for the long message, but I want to provide as many details as possible. Our station still broadcasts in SD and uses Avid Newscutter XP v6.2.12. Our Avid project video resolution is set to DV 25 411 MXF.

I am using a new Sony EX1-R camera. Our old Newscutter cannot import HD files. I am shooting with the camera in SD Mode 4x3 to create AVI files that can be imported directly into Avid.

Right now we are capturing video in a couple of ways:

I. Importing the AVI files directly into Avid.
II. Direct firewire playback capture using the camera as a deck.

Option I is better for workflow purposes, but we have had issues with import speed and video quality, so some have resorted to Option II. The video from imported AVI files seems to have an added shutter effect compared to capturing video via firewire. The video of imported files is usable and clear, but anything with a lot of motion has a noticable shimmer/strobe/shutter (not quite "cinematic," but I'm at a loss for the accurate description).

There are two variables I can change right now: The camera's video settings and the Avid import settings. I would really appreciate any suggestions for the best quality based on these options.

1. Sony EX1-R SD Mode video formats: DVCAM60i SQ; DVCAM60i EC; DVCAM 30P SQ; DVCAM30P EC.

2. My current Avid video import settings:
* Aspect Ratio: 601/709, Non-Square
* File Field Order: Even (lower field first)
* Color Levels: 601/709
* Alpha: Ignore

Just to make sure you know what import options are available on this version of Newscutter:

* Aspect Ratio: 601/709 Non-Square; Maintain Non-Square; Maintain Square; Maintain & Resize Square.
* File Field Order: Non-Interlaced; Odd (upper field first); Even (lower field first)
* Color Levels: RGB; RGB dithered; 601/709
* Alpha: Use Existing; Invert Existing; Ignore

I would really like to just import the video files instead of using our cameras as decks. All of this will be moot once we go HD and use updated software that edits in HD, but that will be a while.

THANKS!

Necktie Boy

NTSC DVCam is lower fields. I believe HDV is upper field.

I don't think it matters if you are shooting squeeze(SQ) or edge crop(EC).

I think it's a field order problem.

Under Newscutter settings, you have:

File Field Order: Non-Interlaced; Odd (upper field first); Even (lower field first)

And if I am correct, you are shooting interlaced(60i)(59.4)

I think that is causing your shutter effect. Setting should be interlaced, not non-interlaced... Only if you are shooting 30p, then it should be set to non-interlaced.

Can't explain off hand why the video via firewire is fine. Just that the firewire settings are set correct. I would look at the file information to see what they are set to. I would think that they are set to interlaced, not non-interlaced.

Also, I got interlace and non-interlace confused.

Hope that helps!